RUTGERS UNIVERSITY -- Fanwood Scotch Plains (FSPY) YMCA swim team was well represented at the NJ 14 and Under Junior Olympics. Thirty-one FSPY swimmers -- 16 girls and 15 boys -- achieved gold times to qualify for this highly competitive meet held at Rutgers University from March 17th to 19th.
The boys finished 5th out of 44 swim teams represented at the NJ 14 and Under Junior Olympics.Highlights:
- Darien Betances received the Top Point award for the 11-12 boys for his first place finishes in the 50, 100 and 200 Breaststroke, 50 and 100 Fly, 100 IM, 50 and 200 Free, and 5th place finish in the 50 Back.
- Aidan Trenery had 9 top 16 finishes as well for his events (6th in 200 Fly, 200 Back, 1650 Free; 7th in 1000 Free, 50 Back; 9th in 100 Back, 100 Breast; 14th in 100 Fly, 500 Free.
- Owen Waibel (0 and Under Boys) had top finishes in the following events: 3rd in 50 Breast, 5th in 50 free, 7th in 100 Breast, 9th in 100 Free, 16th in 50 Back.
These fast swims have qualified these boys to represent New Jersey at the Eastern Zone Conference that will be held at Rochester, NY on March 30th to April 1st.
Congratulations to Abby DiGiorgio, who placed first place in the girls 11/12 100 breaststroke, which earned her a YMCA National time.
Girls 10 and Under
- Victoria Gee (4th in 50 and 100 Breast), Laura Kim (12th in 50 Free; 16th in 100 Breast and 50 Breast; 8th in 50 Fly),
- Haley Oliver (9th in 100 Back; 11th in 50 Back),
- Ryan Jawor (8th in 50 and 100 Back; 14th in 100 Free; 15th in 50 and 200 Free).
- The Girls 10 and Under 200 Medley Relay team of Oliver, Gee, Kayla Gould and Kim finished 2nd, while the 200 Free Relay (Oliver, Paulina Nowak, Gould, Kim) finished 5th.
Boys 10 and Under
- The boys placed 2nd in the 200 Medley Relay (Jawor, Waibel, Evan Weber and Robbie Lambert) and 3rd in the 200 Free Relay (Jawor, Lambert, Tyler McGeehan, Waibel).
- Jenna Aldana placed 11th in 50 Free; 16th 100 Free), Ryan Kim (9th in 50 Breast; 12th in 100 Breast), Richard Park (5th in 400 IM; 11th in 200 IM; 14th in 200 Fly.
- The 200 Freestyle and 200 Medley Relay team of Trenery, Betances, Park, Kim placed 2nd in both events
- Corey He qualified for 4 finals: 200 Free, 500 Free, 200 Fly and 200 Breast. He finished 14th in 500 Free and 16th in 200 Fly, 200 Free.
The following swimmers also represented FSPY at the Junior Olympics:
- Nicole Ben-David
- Grace Best
- Brandon Calderone
- Brandon Cortez
- Bree Dy
- Aaron Frank
- Chloe Howell
- Michelle Kong
- Katherine Li
- Cameron Linenberg
- Ellie Moose
- Amanda Pina
- Fiona Strout
The Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA swim team is a year round competitive team offering high quality professional coaching and technique instruction. For more information, contact Chris Karelus, Head Coach and Director of Competitive Aquatics, 908-889-8880 x129.