PERTH AMBOY -- In a rematch of last year's sectional final that went to a photo finish at the end of the meet, No. 4 Chatham won its 7th straight sectional title by defeating No. 3 Scotch Plains-Fanwood, 97-73, in the NJSIAA North Jersey, Section 2, Public B final at Raritan Bay YMCA on Friday.
It was a seesaw battle from the start. Chatham led off by taking the top three spots in the 200 Medley Relay. The Raiders rebounded with wins by the Amazing Maizes: DeeDee taking the 200 Freestyle and Rachel winning the 200 IM. Emily Gorham took the 50 Free, and UMASS-bound Stephanie Judge won the 100 Butterfly. In the 100 Breast, Alicia Iizuka set a personal best and beat Rachel Maizes, who set the record for the event in the Union County Championship earlier this month.
Gorham, a senior, then came back to win the 100 Freestyle. On the day, she had two individual victories and wins as part of the 200 Medley Relay and 400 Freestyle Relay teams.
- 200 Medley Relay: Crater-Iizuka-Gorham-Tingley, Chatham, 1:47.01
- 200 Freestyle: DeeDee Maizes, Scotch Plains-Fanwood, 1:53.84
- 200 IM: Rachel Maizes, Scotch Plains-Fanwood, 2:09.78
- 50 Freestyle: Emily Gorham, Chatham, 24.35
- 100 Butterfly: Stephanie Judge, Scotch Plains-Fanwood
- 100 Freestyle: Emily Gorham, Chatham, 52.99
- 500 Freestyle: Jackie Crater, Chatham, 5:15.89
- 200 Freestyle Relay: Paulson-Iizuka-Polemeni-Harrigan, Chatham, 1:40.73
- 100 Backstroke: Jackie Crater, Chatham, 58.99
- 100 Breaststroke: Alicia Iizuka, Chatham, 1:04.62
- 400 Freestyle Relay: Harrigan-Crater-Tingley-Gorham, Chatham, 3:37.16
"Chatham swam an awesome meet," said Scotch Plains-Fanwood coach Jess Hulnik. "We swam well, but they were just on fire."
Chatham now faces another rematch, next with Ocean City, which handed the Cougars a loss in the Public B final last year.