SCOTCH PLAINS/FANWOOD, NJ -- An almost three-week layoff did not harm the No. 1 seeded Raiders, who had a bye until the second round of the Sectional tournament in which they hosted No. 4 Summit at the Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA (FSPY) on Monday, Feb. 12.
'The girls made a statement right from the beginning when seniors Erika Frazier, Rachel Maizes, Anna Dunchus, and Megan Small took the 200 Medley Relay in a time of 1:57:35.
Julia Bligh of Summit won the 200 Freestyle, but DeeDee Maizes led the Raiders back into the win column with a three-second lead over her nearest competitor in the 200 IM. Erika Frazier came in first in the 50 Freestyle, and Olivia Barcia followed up with a win in the 100 Butterfly. Rachel Maizes came out on top in the 100 Freestyle, and Hannah Davis won the 500 Freestyle by nearly four seconds over the competition.
The 200 Freestyle Relay was "Sister City" as twins DeeDee and Rachel Maizes, who will both swim for Ivy League schools next year at Penn and Cornell, combined with freshman Rachel Small and her sister, Megan, a senior, to take first place.
"The girls swam well today. We did what we had to do, and now we are on to the next round," said Raiders head coach Jess Hulnik after the meet.
Summit's Kaitlyn Hersch took the 100 Backstroke, and Emma Claus won the 100 Breaststroke, to narrow the gap between the teams. The Hilltoppers also came out on top in the 400 Freestyle Relay, the last event of the meet.
"Scotch Plains-Fanwood is one of the best girls teams in the state," said Summit head coach John Ross. "I'm proud of our seniors Kaitlyn Hersch and Emily Kostolansky, who helped us stay close and make it a great meet."
With the victory, Scotch Plains-Fanwood advances to the Sectional Final on Thursday, Feb. 15, at Raritan Bay YMCA at 5:30 p.m. (B). If the Raiders win their rematch of the 2017 Sectional against Chatham, they would then compete in the State Semifinals that will take place on Tuesday, Feb. 20 (Public B at Raritan Bay YMCA) at 4:30 p.m. The State Finals will take place on Saturday, Feb. 24, at The College of New Jersey (Public B - 11:30 a.m.).
- 200 MEDLEY RELAY: E. Frazier-R. Maizes-A. Dunchus-M. Small, Scotch Plains-Fanwood 1:57.35
- 200 FREESTYLE: Julia Bligh, Summit 2:09.22
- 200 IM: DeeDee Maizes, Scotch Plains-Fanwood 2:20.89
- 50 FREESTYLE: Erika Frazier, Scotch Plains-Fanwood 25.50
- 100 BUTTERFLY: Olivia Barcia, Scotch Plains-Fanwood 1:03.89
- 100 FREESTYLE: Rachel Maizes, Scotch Plains-Fanwood 56.80
- 500 FREESTYLE: Hannah Davis, Scotch Plains-Fanwood 6:01.75
- 200 FREESTYLE RELAY: D. Maizes-R. Maizes-R. Small-M. Small, Scotch Plains-Fanwood 1:47.27
- 100 BACKSTROKE: Kaitlyn Hersch, Summit 1:06.04
- 100 BREASTSTROKE: Emma Claus, Summit 1:14.14
- 400 FREESTYLE RELAY: S. Cusumano-I. Claus-D. Ospina-E. Claus, Summit 4:13.78