SCOTCH PLAINS, NJ --  The Second Baptist Church of Scotch Plains -- better known as the Grand St. YMCA (at the corner of Union), faded into Scotch Plains history when it was torn down by developers earlier this month. 

Over the course of two centuries, the building had served a church, meeting house, a school, and from 1947 until recently, it was the Grand Street YMCA. By 1971, the building was considered too small to meet the community's needs. During its final years of YMCA operation, the building was used primarily as a childcare facility. However, the introduction of full-day kindergarten in the SPFK12 School District cut enrollment dramatically. 

Through the decades, the church still owned the building and leased it to the YMCA at a cost of one dollar a year. Recently, the church sold the property to developers who plan to use the lot to make three homes. 

TAPintoSPF.net is Scotch Plains-Fanwood’s only free daily paper. Sign up for our daily eNews and follow us on Facebook and twitter @SPF_TAP. Download the free TAPinto App for iPhone or Android.