By now all Fanwood households should have received their 2020 Census invitations.
It is vital that everyone respond to the Census. More than ever, current events demonstrate how important it is to know where Americans reside in order to best allocate federal resources and representation. The results of the census count inform important planning decisions for our community, such as:
- Congressional representation, including the number of congresspersons and whether or not Congressional districts will be redrawn;
- Allocation of health services;
- Allocation of federal funding for education such as Head Start and school lunch programs, grants to support teachers and special education;
- Allocation of federal funding for social supports for families, seniors and children in need, such as Medicaid and SNAP, senior housing assistance;
- Allocation of infrastructure dollars, eg road construction, mass transit support, new schools, hospitals, and preserve the environment; and
- Allocation of federal funding for municipal services such as Emergency Services.
Participation is easy and each household can choose their preferred method of response: online, by paper or over the phone. To respond, you will answer a simple questionnaire about yourself and everyone who is living in your household. To explore the questionnaire click here. When responding remember to include EVERYONE IN THE HOUSEHOLD. For more information visit 2020Census.gov.
Mayor of Fanwood