HILLSBOROUGH, NJ – August is Butterfly Month at Duke Farms, with several educational programs and field trips scheduled throughout the month.
“Ask anyone who spends a lot of time outdoors, and they are unlikely to tell you that August is their favorite month of the year. The eighth month gets a bad rap for being hot and muggy, with only an occasional thunderstorm to provide some temporary relief,” said Michael Catania, executive director of the Duke Farms Foundation.
“Yet naturalists appreciate the fact that August is a critical month in nature, with much to observe and appreciate,” he added. “Late-blooming wildflowers are at their peak, and many species of butterflies are basking in the warmth of the summer. This month, we are celebrating the amazing world of butterflies at Duke Farms with a wide array of programs and experiences to learn about our delicately winged friends.
Duke Farms is an expansive environmental education center spread across 2,742 acres along Route 206 south. The Duke Farms Visitor's Center is at 1112 Dukes Parkway West, between Route 206 south and Roycefield Road. Binoculars are recommended.
“We welcome you to join us in celebrating Butterfly Month at Duke Farms,” Catania said. "Attend one of the programs or grab a pair of binoculars and feast your eyes on the fluttering beauties of summer."
Here is a schedule of classes. Friday evening classes will have a citizen science focus and will be geared towards adults and interested teens. Saturday and Sunday afternoon programs are free for children under 12 and will be fun for all ages. Pre-registration is required for all programs. Sign-up at www.dukefarms.org. There is a modest fee for most programs.
- Bring the Butterflies to You, Friday, Aug. 4th. $5 per person
- Mimicking Monarchs. Saturday, Aug. 5th, $5 per family
- Pollinator Oasis, Friday, Aug. 11th, $5 per person
- "Modeling" the Insect World, Saturday, Aug. 12th, $5 per family
- The Brightly Colored Monarch, Sunday, Aug. 13th, $5 per family
- Monarch Butterfly Ecology and the Latest News, Friday, Aug. 18th, $5 per person
- Butterfly Symmetry, Saturday, Aug. 19th, $5 per family
- Milkweed World, Sunday, Aug, 20th, $5 per family
- Monarch Migration Journey, Friday, Aug. 25th, $5 per person
- Discovering the Perennial Meadow, Saturday, Aug.26th, $5 per family
- Monarch Myths, Sunday, Aug. 27th, $5 per family
- Monarchs and Mexico, Friday, Sept. 5th, $5 per family
Additional Special Classes:
- Monarch Teacher Network: Teaching and Learning with Monarch Butterflies, Thursday and Friday, Aug. 3rd and 4th, $50 per educator
- North American Butterfly Association: Butterfly Walk, Sunday, Aug. 6th, $5 per person
- Moths of NJ for Adults, Saturday, Aug. 26th, $5 per person
- Nature Storytime for Sprouts: Monarchs Migrate, Thursday, Sept.14th, $5 per child; accompanying adult must complete free registration
- Monarch Butterflies: Winged Marvels, Saturday, Sept. 16th, $10 per family
Stop by the Orientation Center to see live monarch eggs, caterpillars, chrysalids, and butterflies.
Visit www.dukefarms.org for further information.