FANWOOD, NJ -- Fifty million pumpkin pies are eaten at Thanksgiving (of which one million are sold at Costco), according to Allspiceonline.com. Pumpkin is the Thanksgiving favorite, but Apple pie is America’s year-round top seller.
Paul Watterson of The Fanwood Grille (34 So. Martine Ave., Fanwood) says he has loved baking pies since he was a kid. In October, he started making 6-inch pies -- perfect for two people to share -- to see if people would like them. Sales have been brisk ever since. In fact, so many customers inquired about them, he has decided to make larger, 10-inch pies for Thanksgiving pre-orders.
"Pumpkin has been really popular, so has apple. People love fresh baked pie," Watterson said. "For variety, we are offering cherry and blueberry pies, too. You can pick them up on Wednesday evening or on Thanksgiving morning here at the Grille."
Thanksgiving pie flavors are: apple crumb, pumpkin, cherry and blueberry. Large pies are $12, and 6-inch pies are $7. To order, call (908) 322-9500 or order online via www.fanwoodgrille.com before Tuesday, Nov. 21.
Pie Fun Facts
- Pumpkin pie was first introduced to the holiday table at the pilgrim’s second Thanksgiving in 1623.
- According to the American Pie Council, nearly one out of five (19%) Americans prefer apple pie, followed by pumpkin (13%), pecan (12%), and cherry (9%)
- Pie just isn’t an after-dinner dessert. Americans say they’ve eaten pies at breakfast (35%), lunch (66%) and as midnight snacks (59%).
- According to a 2008 “Pie Slice of Life” Survey, conducted by Schwan’s Consumer Brands, Carol Brady of The Brady Bunch was picked by 40% of survey respondents as the TV mom who would bake the best pie.
- 75 million Americans prefer to drink milk with their pie
- 36 million Americans identify apple pie as their favorite
- 47% of Americans say the word “comforting” comes to mind when they think of pie
- 6 million men ages 35-54 have eaten the last slice of pie and denied it
- 90% Americans who agree that a slice of pie is one of the simple pleasures in life
- 7% Americans who have passed off a store-bought pie as homemade
- 9% Americans who prefer to eat their pie crust-first
If you love…
Apple Pie, you are likely to describe yourself as… independent, realistic and compassionate
Pumpkin Pie you are likely to describe yourself as… funny and independent
Pecan Pie you are likely to describe yourself as… thoughtful and analytical
Editor's Note: TAPintoSPF editor is the owner of the Fanwood Grille.