- Do not leave purchased items visible in the car, put them in the trunk.
- While shopping in the evening hours may be less crowded, there are also additional potential risks involved. Park in areas of parking lots that have adequate lighting. Consider shopping with someone rather than going alone.
- Make sure purses and wallets are secure on your person and you are aware of their location at all times.
- Keep the amount of available cash you have at a minimum or separate it into different pockets or locations. This way, all is not lost if your purse or wallet is misplaced or stolen.
- Credit cards offer convenience and security, however, keep track of all cards and keep receipts to compare to your monthly statement.
- Remain aware of your surroundings at all times and move to and from your vehicle with confidence and "purpose." Have keys ready before getting to your car so you do not have to search for them while standing near it.
- Report suspicious people or activity to law enforcement immediately.
SCOTCH PLAINS/FANWOOD, NJ -- During the hustle and bustle of last-minute holiday shopping, criminals look to take advantage of opportunities made available by shoppers at malls and elsewhere.
Fanwood Police Chief Richard Trigo offers the following Safety Tips While Shopping:
The holidays are happier when everyone is safe.
You May Also Be Interested In