SCOTCH PLAINS/FANWOOD, NJ -- A trip out west to Sussex County proved to be the setting for another successful weekend of football for the Scotch Plains Fanwood PAL Raider teams.
On a chilly Saturday, October 17, afternoon and evening in Sparta, the Raiders won three close games, tied one game and fell in two other contests to leave the rural countryside with a 3-2-1 record for the day in New Jersey Suburban Youth Football League action
All three victories were tight encounters. The eighth grade A team Raiders edged Sparta, 18-16 while the sixth grade Raider C team and the fourth grade Raider E team each won by the same score of 13-12.
The SPF B team seventh graders tied Sparta, 7-7.
The fifth grade Raiders fell to Sparta on the D level, 33-6, and the third grade Raiders were defeated, 20-0.
A Level (8th grade): Scotch Plains Fanwood 18, Sparta 16
- Offensive Player of the Game: Jake Fezza
- Defensive Player of the Game: Joe Marranca
B Level (7th grade): Scotch Plains Fanwood 7, Sparta 7
- Offensive Players of the Game: Jake Martucci and Callum Fynes
- Defensive Players of the Game: Jayvon Young and Thomas Dowling
C Level (6th grade): Scotch Plains Fanwood 13, Sparta 12,
- Offensive Player of the Game: Jack Wilber
- Defensive Player of the Game: Jay Sachkowsky
D Level (5th grade): Sparta 31, Scotch Plains Fanwood 6
- Offensive Players of the Game: Peyton Dembiec and Henry Jacobsen
- Defensive Players of the Game: Marcus Schomberg and Nathaniel Filler
E level (4th grade): Scotch Plains Fanwood 13, Sparta 12
- Offensive Players of the Game: Colin McCall and Joe Kelly
- Defensive Players of the Game: Dean Lickman and Brody Vanderheyden
3rd grade Level: Sparta 20, Scotch Plains Fanwood 0
- Offensive Player of the Game: R.J. Wayans
- Defensive Players of the Week: Logan Sirmans and Patrick Boyle
The Raiders will be home at SPF High School’s Tyson Field on Sunday, October 25, when the A, B and C teams play Bridgewater while the D team meets Berkeley Heights. The E and third grade SPF teams will play at Bridgewater on Saturday, October 24.
While the tackle teams were on the road, flag football took over the varsity field on Sunday, which, in contrast to Saturday afternoon, was sunny and warm for the most part.
TAPintoSPF.net is Scotch Plains-Fanwood’s only free daily local news source. Sign up for our free daily eNewsletter and “Like” us on Facebook and Twitter @SPF_TAP. Download the free TAPinto App for iPhone or Android.
Are you a business interested in reaching our audience? Email email@example.com.