SCOTCH PLAINS/FANWOOD, NJ -- The Scotch Plains-Fanwood Baseball League (SPFBL) concluded a successful summer travel season this week with many teams playing for championships.
12U Blue hosted its championship game against Chatham at Memorial Field. The Raiders made a spirited run in the New Providence Green League playoffs but fell short in Thursday night's championship game. Chatham rallied for three runs in the final inning to pull out a 7-5 triumph.
The Raiders battled back from a 4-2 deficit with three runs in the fifth inning. Base hits by Ben Massella and Gavin Morrobel made it 4-3 and Zach Chung capped an epic 11-pitch at-bat with a huge RBI single to center field to tie the game. Chung scored the go-ahead run on a two-out rip to center by Matt Higgins.
Chung and Higgins fueled the game-winning rally in Wednesday's 7-6 comeback victory over South Orange-Maplewood. The Raiders erased a 6-0 deficit with four runs in the fourth and three more in the fifth. Aidan Dursee reached base on a walk and Ryan Brandl laced a single to right. Chung stroked a single to right-center scoring Dursee and Brandl, who slid in safely on a close play at home as Chung alertly sprinted to third. Higgins broke the tie with a sacrifice fly to left field.
Closer Adam Gross completed a solid relief outing with a 1-2-3 sixth inning to cement the victory. Gross and starter Brandl combined to pitch both games for the Raiders, who will conclude their fine season at a tournament in Cooperstown this week.
- 8U White won @ Millburn-Short Hills 6 p.m. Thursday, July 27
- 9U White won vs. South-Orange Maplewood on Thursday, July 27
- 9U Blue vs. North Plainfield Canucks - Booth Field Thursday 7/27 6 p.m.
- 12U Blue lost, 7-5, to Chatham Thursday 7/27 at Memorial Field 6 p.m.
- 13U lost to Middlesex Blue Chips, 6-0, Thursday
- 14U won the High School Development League Championship, 9-1, over Governor Livingston
- 7U White & 7U Blue will battle several towns Sunday for a winner take all Summer Series.