SCOTCH PLAINS/FANWOOD, NJ -- Seventeen Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School senior students were awarded the 2018 New Jersey State Seal of Biliteracy by the New Jersey Department of Education. In order to receive the Seal of Biliteracy, the students had to demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language and English in their junior or senior year.
These 17 students took the online Standards-Based Measure of Proficiency (STAMP) assessment in their chosen foreign language and received a score of Intermediate Mid or higher in all four measured skills of Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing. They also demonstrated proficiency in English by scoring Proficient or higher on one of the English Language Arts Assessments approved by the New Jersey Department of Education.
Jakub Hibner, senior student was awarded the 2018 New Jersey State Seal of Biliteracy in Spanish and Polish thereby making him proficient in three languages!
Here is the list of seniors, the language/s they are proficient in as well as the colleges and/or universities they will be attending this fall:
- Madeline Bord – Spanish – Johns Hopkins University
- Caitlin Bourke – Spanish – University of Maryland
- Francesca Carlino – Italian – University of Notre Dame
- Amy Chen – Mandarin Chinese – Montclair State University
- Phoebe Collins – Spanish – Smith College
- Zhengjie Dong – Mandarin Chinese – Rutgers University
- Alanna Gaona – Spanish – Farleigh Dickinson University
- Emily Gonyou – Spanish – Union County College
- Jakub Hibner – Spanish and Polish – Rutgers University
- Alexander Joshua – Italian – Rutgers University
- Joshua Loango – Spanish – Rutgers University
- Jared Mann – Spanish – Northeastern University
- Nikita Paranjape – French – Rutgers University
- Michael Ramos – Spanish – University of Delaware
- Sohia Rosahl – French – Rutgers University
- Julia Verardi – Italian – DeSales University
- Paulina Zamora – Spanish – Lynchburg University