SCOTCH PLAINS, NJ – The Scotch Plains Police and Fire Department responded to a suspected gas leak at the Scotch Plains Public Library as patrons were forced to evacuate the building on Wednesday afternoon.
“We got the call around 3:50 p.m.,” explained Scotch Plains Police Chief Ted Conley. “There was an odor of gas in the library, so we called the fire department.”
Upon investigation, the Scotch Plains Fire Department cleared the scene and Elizabeth Town Gas – which will conduct their own investigation – has been notified. Shortly after, patrons re-entered the library.
“At this time, it appears safe,” said Conley.