SCOTCH PLAINS, NJ -- As part of National Preparedness Month, the Scotch Plains Office of Emergency Management (OEM) will host an Individual Preparedness Class at the Scotch Plains Library Meeting Room on Thursday, Sept. 21, at 7:00 p.m.
Class size is limited to 30. To register for the class, email OEM@scotchplainsnj.com and provide with your name and phone number.
The class will provide with an understanding of emergency management and the type of disasters that may occur and how individuals can best prepare themselves and their family and friends in the event of a disaster.
Lead by Dennis Van Natta, The Scotch Plains OEM focuses on the protection of life and property for all residents, businesses, and the traveling public. The agency provides protection through the latest body of knowledge and current emergency management practices as set forth in federal, state, and county regulations. OEM personnel provide protection through study, planning and application of all phases of Emergency Management, while concentrating on mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery.
The OEM focuses on the following:
- Alerting and Warning
- Fire and Rescue activities
- Law Enforcement activities
- Public Health awareness
- Emergency Medical Services
- Evacuation procedures
- Shelter placement and deployment
- Check-in procedures and shelter management
- Department of Public Works activities
- Damage Assessments of public infrastructures and buildings
- Radiological Protection, Handling of Hazardous Materials, and other activities