Celebrate a Universe of Stories at the Scotch Plains Public Library! Fanwood and Scotch Plains residents are invited to take part in the 2019 Summer Reading Challenge which runs from June until August 30th.
How does the summer reading program work?
Children, teens and adults are invited to participate by signing up for one of our unique programs.
Our reading programs include:
- Wee Readers – this program is designed for babies up to pre-school who can participate just by reading for 15 minutes, attending a library program, or completing an early literacy activity. Children who complete 30 of these activities are eligible to win a free book!
- Elementary Program – designed for children entering Kindergarten through 5th grade. Children create their own reading goal and earn a prize every time they reach a quarter of their goal. Children who complete their goal by Friday, August 30 not only earn a certification of completion, but also earn a coupon for a free Chipotle Kids Meal (as supplies last) and a raffle ticket to enter a prize sponsored by the Friends of the Scotch Plains Public Library, Fanwood Bagel, Branchburg Sports Complex, and the Scotch Plains Parks and Recreation.
- Somerset Patriots Reading Challenge – Children up to 8th grade can also participate in the annual reading challenge by reading 6 books to win tickets to a Somerset Patriots game. Children may collect up to two tickets by reading 12 books. Reading forms can be downloaded from the library’s website and are due Wednesday, July 10.
- Teen Program – Teens entering 6th through 12th grade can earn prizes this summer through reading. Each time they read for 10 hours they earn a prize – read for 100 hours and earn a free book!
- Book BINGO – Children entering Kindergarten through 12th grade are invited to participate in the library’s newest summer reading challenge. This challenge is designed for reading on the go! After completing a BINGO, stop by the library to pick up a prize. Up to 4 different prizes can be earned. Complete the entire board for a chance to win tickets to the Liberty Science Center. BINGO boards must be turned in by Friday, August 30th.
- Adult Summer Reading – Readers over the age of 17 can track their hours, write reviews and collect points online at http://scotlib.readsquared.com or in-person at the library. Spin the prize wheel at the library and win a small registration memento. Earn points when you read a book, audiobook, or ebook, submit a book review, attend a program, or complete an Adult Bingo card. Use your points to earn raffle tickets to win a gift basket.
For more information about the library’s reading challenge, events or programs call 908-322-5007 x209, e-mail email@example.com.