UNION COUNTY, NJ -- With a winter storm approaching, Union County has announced that the following five parks are designated for sledding:
- Briant Park (Summit)
- Echo Lake Park (“Summer Arts Hill” near Springfield Ave., Westfield)
- Lenape Park ( in Cranford, in areas that are not close to waterways)
- Meisel Park (Springfield, in the detention basin area)
- Unami Park (Garwood)
“We urge all our residents who wish to sled to follow these guidelines and have a safe enjoyable time in our County Parks,” Freeholder Chairman Bruce H. Bergen said.
To avoid tree hazards, sledders in Union County parks are strongly advised to avoid sleds that cannot be steered. Downhill skiing is strictly prohibited, but cross-country skiing is permitted in the following parks:
- Ash Brook Golf Course (Scotch Plains)
- Oak Ridge Golf Course (Clark)
- Watchung Reservation (Mountainside)
Skating on natural waterways in County parks is contingent on the availability of at least four inches of clear ice as measured by Parks officials in accordance with widely accepted safety standards. No waterways have met that standard so far this winter. For a complete list of activities in Union County parks visit ucnj.org.