UNION, NJ – Scotch Plains-Fanwood's Sam Wustefeld won the 182 lb. title NJSIAA Region 4 Tournament at Union Senior High School on Saturday afternoon.
Wustefeld, who was named Yeti MMA Athlete of the Week this week, continues his excellent season and heads to Atlantic City for the Meet of Champions to wrestle for the state title.
"Sam has been working for this moment all year. He came into regions with a focus and determination. I couldn't be prouder," said Scotch Plains-Fanwood wrestling coach Marc Fabiano. "Sam took each match one at a time and never looked ahead. He was in the zone every time he competed."
"We have not had a region champ since 2013 (Anthony Tufaro), which is a big accomplishment for Sam and the program," added Fabiano, who also credited his coaching staff (Jesse Martinez, John Nye, and Will Hardin). "They have been working with Sam at practice everyday to give him different looks. The next step is Atlantic City. He is ready; he needs to again take one match at a time and see what happens. I am very excited and see what he can do!"
Region 4 winners:
- 285 pounds: Alex Esposito of Cranford defeated Alexander LaGrippo of Woodbridge via decision (3-0)
- 220 pounds: Zach DelVecchio of South Plainfied defeated Farhan Khan of Carteret via sudden victory
- 195 pounds: Van Miller of Bridgewater-Raritan defeated Lewis Fernandes of Voorhees via sudden victory
- 182 pounds: Sam Wustefeld of Scotch Plains-Fanwood beat Turner Haddad of Gov. Livingston via decision (7-4)
- 170 pounds: Bryan McLaughlin of Woodbridge defeated Aidan Monteverdi of Seton Hall Prep via major decision (9-1)
- 160 pounds: Marquan Payne of Woodbridge defeated Michael Fernandes of Voorhees via decision (4-3)
- 152 pounds: T.J. Calas of Seton Hall Prep defeated Nick Zuena of Union via decision (5-0)
- 145 pounds: Nick Santos of St. Peter’s Prep defeated Jeff Johnson of Middlesex via sudden victory
- 138 pounds: Bob Dinger of Middlesex defeated Tom DiGiovanni via major decision (11-3)
- 132 pounds: Chris Scorese of Cranford defeated Chris Fuschetto of Arthur Johnson HS via decision (3-1)
- 126 pounds: Rhise Royster of Rahway defeated Jake Giordano via decision (3-2)
- 120 pounds: Michael Kelly of St. Peter’s Prep defeated Joe Heilmann of South Plainfield via decision (3-0)
- 113 pounds: Mark Montgomery of Roselle Park defeated Anthony Capeca of Cranford via decision (1-0)
- 106 pounds: CJ Composto of Westfield defeated Larry Melchionda of Seton Hall Prep via pin (1:16)
Other notable results include:
- 132 lbs.: Jack Cannon of Scotch Plains-Fanwood lost to Chris Scorese of Cranford via technical fall (4:17) in the quarterfinals.
Next weekend, wrestlers from throughout New Jersey will compete in the NJSIAA Finals in Atlantic City with state seeding determined on Monday, Feb. 27.