SCOTCH PLAINS/FANWOOD, NJ – During a school year unlike any other, when students have yet to attend a day of in-class instruction, the fall athletes of Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School have had perhaps their greatest season ever.
Amid the chaos caused by the coronavirus, Raiders coaches have done yeoman’s work in simply being able to conduct practices safely, get their teams focused and ready to compete, navigate schedule disruptions caused by canceled contests, and keep their athletes positive and motivated.
- Field Hockey (State Regional Finalists): Ally Neidig.
- Football (6-2 record): Austin Holman. Assistants: Peter Kane, Dan Doherty, Greg Mobus, Jonathan Fletcher, Kyle Anderson, Mark Fabiano, Ken Hernandez.
- Boys Soccer (State Regional Semifinalists): Alex Passucci. Assistants: Matt Giannacio, Colin Boyle, Anthony Bruno.
- Girls Soccer (State Regional Champions): Kevin Ewing. Assistants: Matthew Tiedemann, Lauren Mains, Joe Higgins.
- Girls Tennis (State Sectional Champions): Luke Piede. Assistant: Barbara Joyner.
- Cross-Country: Jeff Koegel and Rich McGriff.
- Girls field hockey will play with the top elite teams in the Red Division of Union-Essex for 2021. The team have grown from a brand new program in the lowest division all the way to the top in just three years.
- Football had its first winning season in years. In just his second season at the helm, Coach Holman has restored pride and a positive attitude in his players.
- While it has a rich tradition of winning, boys soccer endured the cancelation of summer training, the cancelation of their first two games, and the delayed debut of first-year varsity head coach Alex Passucci. The boys lost their first two games but rebounded and played well enough to make the final of the Union County tournament, which was canceled. They advanced to the semifinals of the State Regional tournament.
- A perennially strong team like the boys, girls soccer played well enough to make the final of the Union County tournament, which was canceled. They gave up just three goals all season and won the State Regional tournament.
- Girls tennis won its second straight Regional championship. Coach Luke Piede was named the 2020 NJ.com Coach of the Year.
- Boys cross-country placed 5th in the team standings at the Union County Championship. Miles Roper was named 3rd Team All-Union County.
- Girls cross-country placed third at the NJSIAA North II Group IV State Sectional Championship, which was the highest ever for the team at any sectional meet. The girls also placed fifth in the team standings at the Union County Championship. Individually, Gabby Crona was named 2nd Team All-Union County for the girls.
"There are not enough accolades for our Fall 2020 coaching staff this year. It is a difficult enough journey to organize, motivate, lead, and manage high school athletes in a normal year - to perform, and outperform their peers is an example of the dedication, hard work, and expertise of the Raider coaching staff,” said athletic director Ryan Miller. “It has truly been an honor to serve with these coaches and no Fall season would have even happened without all of their unparalleled ability to respond, change, and endure the multitude of newness this year."
Miller also took time to highlight the dedication of cheering head coach Vicky Vanoni and her assistant, Ann Barcelona.
“The SPFHS cheer program continued to be a source of pride and adoration for the fans that attended the games this year,” Miller said. “While the spectators were slight due to a variety of Governor's Orders - the Raider cheer program was a fantastic representation of Raider Pride. The program endured a few quarantines and worked together to have an outstanding half time and sideline performance this year.”
Joint Motion Physical Therapy is located across the street from the Stage House Tavern and shares a free, handicap accessible parking lot with the Scotch Plains Public Library. Joint Motion can be reached for an appointment by phone 908-322-3202, or email email@example.com. You can also learn more at www.facebook.com/JointMotionPT.
Joint Motion Physical Therapy
373 Park Ave.
Scotch Plains, NJ 07076