The Scotch Plains-Fanwood girls tennis team was expecting a good season, but going 11-0 and winning the State Sectional title vs. Middletown South was a spectacular end to an unusual season. For their achievement, the girls tennis team are the Joint Motion Physical Therapy Athletes of the Week.
- Anna Szczuka at first singles, Diya Nainwal at second singles, Diya Nainwal at third singles, all went undefeated for the entire season.
- Lucy Pritzker and Nikita Sahasrabudha won their doubles matches in the NJSIAA Girls Tennis - Central East B (Group 3), quarterfinals against Cranford and the tournament's semifinals against Colts Neck.
- Ellora Majumbar and Jion Shim won their doubles matches vs. Cranford, Colts Neck, and Middletown South in the NJSIAA Central East B (Group 3) tournament.
"The sectional final is the end of the season this year. There is no state championship or tournament of champions," said girls varsity tennis coach Luke Piede.
"Our three singles players, Anna Szczuka (11th grade), Diya Nainwal (9th grade), and Diti Nainwal (9th grade), had dominating performances to lead the team to victory." Piede said. "The three singles players ended the season with a combined record of 45-0. They did not drop a set the entire season. Opponents averaged less than two games per match against SPF singles players."
The coach said his doubles teams showed great improvement throughout the season. Although they were a combined 2-14 during the regular season, the teams were a combined 9-5 in the county in tournament and sectional tournament. Nikita Sahasrabudhe (10th grade) and Lucy Spitzer (12th grade) made it into the County semifinal at 1st doubles. Jion Shin(10th grade) and Ellora Majumdar (11th grade) at 2nd doubles showed incredible growth winning all 3 of their state matches.
"Only one player graduates from the starting line-up, so the future of Scotch Plains-Fanwood girls tennis looks bright," Piede said.
- 9/30 @ Summit, W 3-2
- 10/1 @ Kent Place, W 3-2
- 10/2 vs. New Providence, W 3-2
- 10/6 vs. Oak Knoll, W 3-2
- 10/8 @ New Providence, W 5-0
- 10/14 vs. Kent Place, W 3-2
- 10/15 @ Oak Knoll, W 3-2
- 10/19 vs. Summit, W 3-2
- 10/28 vs. Cranford (NJSIAA Central East B, Group 3 Quarterfinal, W 5-0
- 11/3 vs. Colts Neck (NJSIAA Central East B, Group 3 Semifinal, W 5-0
- 11/4 vs. Middletown South (NJSIAA Central East B, Group 3 Final, W 4-1
- Sofia Berkman, Sophomore
- Ariel Burman, Junior
- Avery Burman, Junior
- Elizabeth Diamond, Freshman
- Samantha Edelman, Junior
- Alexa Gingold, Junior
- Anabelle Griffin, Senior
- Camila Hernandez, Sophomore
- Nina Johnson, Junior
- Ella Kleinbaum, Freshman
- Richa Kulkarni, Junior
- Ellora Majumbar, Junior
- Diti Nainwal, Freshman
- Diya Nainwal, Freshman
- Alexis O'Brien, Sophomore
- Elina Puri, Junior
- Nikita Sahasrabudha, Sophomore
- Jion Shim,
- Lucy Spitzer, Senior
- Anna Szczuka, Junior
- Rebecca Wofsy
Joint Motion Physical Therapy is located across the street from the Stage House Tavern and shares a free, handicap accessible parking lot with the Scotch Plains Public Library. Joint Motion can be reached for an appointment by phone 908-322-3202, or email email@example.com. You can also learn more at www.facebook.com/JointMotionPT.
Joint Motion Physical Therapy
373 Park Ave.
Scotch Plains, NJ 07076
TAPintoSPF.net is Scotch Plains-Fanwood’s only free daily local news source. Sign up for our free daily eNewsletter and “Like” us on Facebook and twitter @SPF_TAP. Download the free TAPinto App for iPhone or Android.