SCOTCH PLAINS, NJ – Park Middle School Drama Club will present its production of Disney’s The Little Mermaid JR. on Friday, March 23, at 7:00 p.m.; Saturday, March 24, at 7:00 p.m.; and Sunday, March 25, at 2:00 p.m.
Journey "under the sea" with Princess Ariel and her aquatic friends in Disney's The Little Mermaid JR., an enchanting look at the sacrifices we all make for love and acceptance.
In a magical underwater kingdom, the beautiful young mermaid, Ariel, longs to leave her ocean home – and her fins – behind and live in the world above. But first, she'll have to defy her father, King Triton, make a deal with the evil sea witch, Ursula, and convince the handsome Prince Eric that she's the girl whose enchanting voice he's been seeking.
"The cast of The Little Mermaid JR. has been working diligently since December to put on a great show, and you won’t be disappointed,” said Park Middle Drama Director Kaitlyn Reiser. “The Little Mermaid JR. is a timeless classic and great show for adults and children alike. I am so amazed by the talent possessed by these Park Middle School students, and we can’t wait to share our undersea journey with you.”
The Little Mermaid JR. features 41 fifth- through eighth-grade middle school students under the direction of Ms. Reiser, Assistant Director Allison Cosman, and Stage Coach Lori Travers. The cast of characters includes:
- Princess Ariel (Elizabeth Parvin), the youngest of King Triton’s daughters, who longs to live her life on land.
- Prince Eric (Robbie Dobies), who falls in love with the mermaid who rescued him.
- King Triton (Nkem Okorie), Ariel’s strict but caring father and ruler of Atlantica.
- Flounder (Emmet Fynes), Ariel’s loyal friend who accompanies her on excursions in search of human artifacts.
- Sebastian (Jish Sokolsky), Triton's faithful servant and court composer, tasked with keeping Ariel out of trouble.
- Ursula (Rica Lopez), who tricks Ariel into trading her voice for a pair of human legs.
- Scuttle (Gavin Lesnevich), Ariel’s friend and a self-styled “expert” on the origins of human artifacts (who is usually wrong!).
- Flotsam and Jetsam (Ella Mauer and Morgan Ritter), Ursula’s evil henchmen
- Grimsby (Tucker Rose), Prince Eric’s faithful servant.
- Chef Louis (Conor Reilly), the castle chef who tries to cook Sebastian for dinner.
- Carlotta (Natalie Green), the castle’s maid and primary housekeeper.
There are also many other "merfolk," princesses, sailors, chefs, sea, land and air creatures, and poor unfortunate souls.
Performances will be held at Park Middle School (580 Park Ave., Scotch Plains). General admission tickets are $12 each and can be purchased at https://parklittlemermaidjr.brownpapertickets.com.
Based on one of Hans Christian Andersen's most beloved stories, and the book by Doug Wright, Disney's The Little Mermaid JR. is adapted from Disney's Broadway production and the enormously popular Academy Award-winning Walt Disney film. The Little Mermaid JR. features music by Alan Menken and lyrics by Howard Ashman and Glenn Slater, with additional music adapted and arranged by David Weinstein.
Disney's The Little Mermaid JR. is presented through special arrangement with, and all authorized materials are supplied by, Music Theater International (421 West 54th Street, New York, NY 10019). Script, music and all other material © 2011. Disney Broadway Junior and MTI's Broadway Junior Collection are trademarks of Music Theater International. All rights reserved.