ASBURY PARK, NJ -- The Smithereens, co-founded by Scotch Plains native Pat DiNizio, will be among the honorees (posthumously) as The New Jersey Hall of Fame hosts its 11th annual induction ceremony at the Paramount Theatre in Asbury Park on Sunday, Oct. 27, 2019.
This year’s event honors 19 of New Jersey’s most distinguished citizens as they are officially inducted into the New Jersey Hall of Fame, the highest civilian honor bestowed by our state. Over 1,500 inductees, guests, sponsors, and members of the media will be in attendance for one of New Jersey’s premiere evenings.
The 2019 New Jersey Hall of Fame inductees are:
ARTS AND LETTERS:
- Author Peter Benchley* ("Jaws"), Pennington;
- Sports columnist Jerry Izenberg (Star-Ledger), Neptune;
- Author George R. R. Martin, ("Game of Thrones”), Bayonne;
- Photographer Timothy White, Fort Lee.
- J. Fletcher Creamer Sr.*, Saddle River;
- F.M. Kirby II*, Harding;
- Tim McLoone, Little Silver;
- Mary Roebling*, Trenton;
- Arthur F. Ryan, Newark;
- Martha Stewart, Nutley.
- Jason Alexander ("Seinfeld"), Livingston;
- Southside Johnny Lyon, Neptune;
- The Smithereens (Jim Babjak, Dennis Diken, Mike Mesaros, Pat DiNizio), Carteret and Scotch Plains.
- Activist Elizabeth Allen*, Hoboken;
- Physician, professor Victor Parsonnet, Newark;
- NY Giant Harry Carson, Franklin Lakes;
- Basketball player, coach Anne Donovan*, Ridgewood;
- Olympic gold medal-winning gymnast Laurie Hernandez, Old Bridge;
- NY Giant Bart Oates, Harding.
The New Jersey Hall of Fame Selection Process
Residents of New Jersey are invited to recommend deserving New Jerseyans at any time, year round. Public recommendations will be taken into consideration by the selection committee when determining the top 100 nominees. Click here to recommend an inductee.
The selection committee determines a list of 100 potential nominees by October 1. The NJ Hall of Fame Academy narrows the master list down to 50 on or about Nov. 1, and then the public is invited to vote on the final nominations from on or about Nov. 15 through Dec. 5.
TAPinto is a media sponsor of the 2019 New Jersey Hall of Fame induction ceremony.