FANWOOD, NJ -- Fanwood's Director of Economic Development, Liz Jeffery, hosted her quarterly Business Roundtable at John Capeci's Edward Jones office (250 South Ave., Suite 101, Fanwood) on January 29.
Among the updates:
- The new Fanwood Animal Hospital at 137 South Ave. is nearing completion and should be opening in spring of 2020.
- The Old South Avenue Redevelopment Plan was adopted in August 2019. On Jan. 6, 2020, Carano Square LLC was designated as the developer for the general area of Old South Ave. (former A&P site and certain adjacent Old South Ave properties).
- The South Ave TAP grant streetscape improvements are currently in design phase.
- Family Investors will celebrate 60 years in business in April 2020. Liz Jeffery reminded the group that the "For the Love of Fanwood" heart items are available from Family Investors. Company president Peter Chemidlin informed businesses that the Fanwood Community Foundation will send out it annual appeal soon. In 2019, the foundation provided six grants totaling $4,500 to worthy local non-profits.
- K9 Resorts marked its 15th anniversary this month.
- Railside Café and Sheleen’s Crossing have weekly entertainment events that bring fun to Fanwood.
- The Greater Westfield Area Chamber of Commerce has printed its high quality, color 2020 Community Directory. It features pages for each of the five towns, including Fanwood, covered by the GWACC, and a list of its members.
- GWACC will host a ballroom dancing/networking event on Feb. 18, co-sponsored by The Chelsea at Fanwood at The Westfield Ballroom.
- A home-based business event will take place in Fanwood on March 18. (The location and details to be announced).
- The Borough is working with NJ Monthly a logo was created for use by the Borough and Fanwood businesses and organizations to highlight Fanwood's designation as "Best Small Town in New Jersey." The logo was given to Fanwood businesses in December for use by all on their business promotion materials, web site, etc. The Borough is also getting costs estimates for a banner for across Martine Ave. as well as one for the Train Station parking lot. Window stickers for downtown businesses are also being priced.
- The 2020 Fanwood Community Events Calendar postcard is in production. It is mailed town-wide, and it has proven to be a terrific way to spread the word about Fanwood community wide events.
- This year's Fanwood's Summer Fan Jam will be held on July 12, 2020.
- Fanwood will continue to work to improve the annual events. Liz Jeffery indicated that the Borough is exploring event oversight services because it is getting very difficult to run these events successfully solely with volunteers.
TAPintoSPF.net is Scotch Plains-Fanwood’s only free daily local news source. Sign up for our free daily eNewsletter and “Like” us on Facebook and Twitter @SPF_TAP. Download the free TAPinto App for iPhone or Android.