FANWOOD, NJ -- A young bear was seen by multiple residents of Fanwood walking through the borough on the south side of town. Multiple residents reported seeing the bear in Fanwood and posted pictures on the Scotch Plains-Fanwood Neighbors page.
"The bear just walked by our house on Kempshall heading towards the nature center and yes we called the police," said Sally Davis, who took photos and video of the animal. ""It's so bizarre to see a bear so close."
The state Division of Fish and Wildlife offers the following tips if you encounter a bear:
- Never feed or approach a bear.
- Remain calm if you encounter a bear. Do not run from it.
- Make the bear aware of your presence by speaking in an assertive voice, singing, clapping your hands or making other noises.
- If a bear enters your home, provide it with an escape route by propping all doors open.
- Avoid direct eye contact, which may be perceived by a bear as a challenge. Never run from a bear. Instead, slowly back away.
- To scare the bear away, make loud noises by yelling, banging pots and pans or using an air horn. Make yourself look as big as possible by waving your arms. If you are with someone else, stand close together with your arms raised above your head.
To see the bear walking through a Fanwood backyard, click here.
To see video of the bear walking along Kempshall Terrace, click here.
Matt Kadosh of TAPintoWestfield contributed to this article.
TAPintoSPF.net is Scotch Plains-Fanwood’s only free daily local news source. Sign up for our free daily eNewsletter and “Like” us on Facebook and Twitter @SPF_TAP. Download the free TAPinto App for iPhone or Android.
Are you a business interested in reaching our audience? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.