SCOTCH PLAINS/FANWOOD, NJ -- Parents of Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School students received a letter on Friday from principal Dr. David Heisey to update students and parents on issues related to the reopening of schools for the 2020-2021 academic year.
The purpose of this correspondence is to provide you with the current information related to the opening of school in September.
As you know Dr. Mast, Superintendent, sent a letter to the Scotch Plains-Fanwood School Community last week. In this correspondence, Dr. Mast shared information from the New Jersey Department of Education’s (NJDOE) document: The Road Back: Restart and Recovery Plan for Education.
As she indicated, there are various mandates that must be met and each district’s plan will need approval from the NJDOE. However, within those guidelines there is flexibility in the way districts decide to handle returning to school in September. To this point, you are encouraged to complete the SPF School District Reopening Planning Survey by Tuesday, July 21, 2020, if you have not done so already.
The high school administrative team is consulting regularly with Dr. Mast and the district administrators regarding the start of school. We will also seek input from the various stakeholders as we continue with the planning. In the coming weeks, our School-Based Pandemic Response Team will be meeting and interfacing with the District’s Restart Committee.
Once the overall plan has been developed, the superintendent will share this information with our school community. As Dr. Mast previously communicated, our priority will be to devise a plan that places the health and safety of our students and staff first, while paying close attention to their social and emotional needs.
As always, our decision-making will be guided by the various local and state agencies, Governor Murphy, and the New Jersey Department of Education. Following is the link to the NJDOE’s document, entitled: The Road Back: Restart and Recovery Plan for Education for your information.
In the meantime, as we prepare for an uncertain future related to the opening of school, listed below are some recommendations that will help to guide us:
- Purchase a number of well-fitted, washable cloth face masks for your children. With some exceptions, students will be required to wear a face mask.
- Encourage your child to practice wearing a face mask and gradually increase the time in order to develop mask perseverance. As adults, we know they can be annoying. However, wearing a mask is one of the most significant steps in mitigating the spread of infection.
- If you don’t already have one, purchase a reliable thermometer.
- Practice and model good health and hygiene routines.
- Purchase personal supplies or disinfectant wipes for your children. Hand sanitizer will be readily available in school.
- Determine if there are any other items that may help your child to feel safe and comfortable returning to school.
We wish for all of you a safe and relaxing summer. Thank you for taking the time to review this most important information.
David L. Heisey, Ed.D.
TAPintoSPF.net is Scotch Plains-Fanwood’s only free daily local news source. Sign up for our free daily eNewsletter and “Like” us on Facebook and Twitter @SPF_TAP. Download the free TAPinto App for iPhone or Android.
Are you a business interested in reaching our audience? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.