EDISON, NJ -- Nicole Nolan, Director of Global Scholars and Community Outreach at The Wardlaw+Hartridge School in Edison, is encouraging W+H students to give back in a safe and impactful way during the COVID-19 crisis.
Several Upper School students have begun remotely tutoring students from refugee families in the Interfaith RISE program. This represents a safe continuation of a successful existing program. Some students, including Neil Shah of Edison and Andrew Wolff of Scotch Plains, have begun to work with families they had not previously met.
Others who have performed service work in their communities include:
- Clare Jeffery of Westfield – spent her spring break working as an unpaid intern assisting with senior citizens outreach in Fanwood. She made calls to area seniors to check in, find out if they have any needs, and offered some friendly conversation to brighten their day.
- Destinie Nodarse of Edison – signed up to foster a dog from the animal shelter, and she and her mother have also been working with FLAG to decorate and assemble snack boxes for front line workers.
- Shaan Jasti of Colonia – drops off food donations weekly at his local church.
- Emily Brogan of Colonia – volunteered and has been commended for her time at the NJ American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
- Shankari Theivanayagam of Summit – working with a friend for raise funds for affected families in Summit and to “adopt” families to support them with weekly groceries and other needs.
New W+H initiatives being considered include a fundraiser to support medical professionals on the front lines, making masks, sending thank-you notes to medical professionals and first responders, and donating meals for hospital workers.
The Wardlaw+Hartridge School (1295 Inman Ave., N. Edison) is Central Jersey’s premier PreK-12 independent school. The campus is located near the Scotch Plains border and just five miles from downtown Westfield. It is a private, nonsectarian, coeducational day school that prepares students to lead and succeed in a world of global interconnection. Wardlaw+Hartridge provides an educational atmosphere characterized by academic challenge, support for individual excellence, diversity, and a familial sense of community.