SCOTCH PLAINS/FANWOOD, NJ -- Local police have received multiple calls of bear roaming the neighborhood near Forest Road on Sunday. It's the second day in a row that people have seen a bear meandering about town.
Dennis Dagounis watched as the animal strolled into his backyard and then sat down to take a nap. Check out the video here.
"Bear Update: he is napping in a backyard on Arlene Court. Police Dept is aware. Just keep an eye out if you are in this area," Dagounis wrote on Facebook's Scotch Plains-Fanwood Community Page.
Authorities advise residents to watch pets and children, If you see the bear and feel that it poses a threat, call police dispatch to report the incident.
The State Division of Fish and Wildlife offers the following tips if you encounter a bear:
- Never feed or approach a bear.
- Remain calm if you encounter a bear. Do not run from it.
- Make the bear aware of your presence by speaking in an assertive voice, singing, clapping your hands, or making other noises.
- If a bear enters your home, provide it with an escape route by propping all doors open.
- Avoid direct eye contact, which may be perceived by a bear as a challenge. Never run from a bear. Instead, slowly back away.
- To scare the bear away, make loud noises by yelling, banging pots and pans or using an air horn. Make yourself look as big as possible by waving your arms. If you are with someone else, stand close together with your arms raised above your head.
TAPintoSPF.net is Scotch Plains-Fanwood’s only free daily local news source. Sign up for our free daily eNewsletter and “Like” us on Facebook and Twitter @SPF_TAP. Download the free TAPinto App for iPhone or Android.
Are you a business interested in reaching our audience? Email email@example.com.