PERTH AMBOY, NJ ) ) Saint Joseph High School (Metuchen) continued its incredible swimming championship winning streak by finishing first at the GMC Championships for the 42nd year in a row on Friday, Jan. 24, at Raritan Bay YMCA in Perth Amboy.
The Falcons blew away the competition with an impressive 714 pts., far outpacing second place finisher East Brunswick (558 pts.), 3) JP Stevens (333 pts.), 4) South Brunswick (270 pts.), 5) Metuchen (265 pts.), 6) Piscataway (232.50 pts.), 7) Old Bridge (226 pts.), 8) North Brunswick 165; 9) Sayreville (154.50 pts.), and 10) Wardlaw+Hartridge (92 pts.).
Saint Joseph's Tyler Knurek was the star of the meet with four victories to his credit. The sophomore anchored the winning 200 Medley Relay and 400 Freestyle Relay teams and individually won the 50 Free with a blistering 22.07 pace and the 100 Backstroke with a new meet record time of 52.01. Knurek's teammate, Darien Betances, broke the meet record in the 100 Breaststroke with a time of 58.20.
"Tyler did a stellar job today. His 100 Backstroke was phenomenal," said Saint Joseph varsity swim coach Dan Cahill. "Every year this is what we build to. Coming in here today, we knew there was the potential for records. But it's not just that, the 2-3-4 guys also stepped up. Everyone contributes in a team win like this. I'm more than happy. The boys worked really hard to get here."
Other standouts included Nathan Borges of Piscataway, who set new records for the 200 Freestyle and 500 Freestyle races, and Logan D'Amore of Wardlaw+Hartridge set a new meet record in the 200 IM with a time of 1:40.54 and won the 100 Freestyle in 47.12. Joseph Gurski of Woodbridge swam the 100 Butterfly in 50.89, also a meet record.
But the day clearly belonged to Saint Joseph from the outset. The Falcons made a statement with the opening 200 Medley Relay, which the Falcon team (Richard Park, Darien Betances, Marco Niro, Tyler Knurek) won by more than three seconds with a time of 1:38.65, which broke a meet record that stood since 1983.
"This conference is constantly getting faster. Our next goal is a state championship. We came close last year, and we are back, said Coach Cahill said.
"It really is an honor being on a team that has won four decades in a row, but the best thing about it is the energy each every time I’ve been in the GMCs," said Saint Joseph swimmer Will Barnett, a Fanwood resident. "Every swimmer is rooting for everyone else’s success. The main thing that makes being on a team with a legacy like this so great is the team chemistry that our coaches Dan and Jimmy have created. We will not go down without a fight.”
200 Medley Relay
1) St. Joseph (Met.) (Richard Park, Darien Betances, Marco Niro, Tyler Knurek) 1:38.65, meet record; 2) East Brunswick 1:42.01; 3) Piscataway 1:44.80; 4) Northern Brunswick 1:47.47; 5) Metuchen 1:47.66; 6) South Brunswick 1:48.28.
1) Nathan Borges, Piscataway, 1:40.54, a new meet record; 2) Dan Badaway, St. Joseph (Met.), 1:49.11; 3) CJ Talerico, St. Joseph (Met.), 1:49.86; 4) Alex Liu, Metuchen, 1:49.87; 5) Luke Barglow, South Brunswick, 1:55.32; 6) John Neilson, Old Bridge, 1:56.58.
1) Logan D’Amore, Wardlaw+Hartridge, 1:54.16, a new meet record; 2) Keren Huang, J.P. Stevens, 1:55.93; 3) Darien Betances, St. Joseph (Met.), 1:57.18; 4) Ryan VanDeVeen, East Brunswick, 1:58.54; 5) Will Barnett, St. Joseph (Met.), 2:01.15; 6) Richard Park, St. Joseph (Met.), 2:02.03.
1) Tyler Knurek, St. Joseph (Met.), 22.07; 2) Ben Lockey, St. Joseph (Met.), 22.70; 3 (tie) Marco Niro, St. Joseph (Met.), 22.80, Ryan Erdman, Piscataway, 22.80; 5) Adrian Romaj, Colonia, 22.88; 6 (tie) Marcel Milewski, St. Joseph (Met.), 23.33, Damian Lech, Sayreville, 23.33.
1) Joseph Gurski, Woodbridge, 50.89, a new meet record; 2) Thoms Askew, Dunellen, 51.57; 3) Alan Xia, Metuchen, 53.36; 4) Marco Niro, St. Joseph (Met.), 54.22; 5) Ryan Kappes, North Brunswick, 55.06; 6) Max Roesner, Highland Park, 55.22.
1) Logan D’Amore, Wardlaw) Hartridge, 47.12; 2) Will Barnett, St. Joseph (Met.), 48.86; 3) Ben Lockey, St. Joseph (Met.), 49.91; 4) Adrian Romaj, Colonia, 50.42; 5) Damian Lech, Sayreville, 51.17; 6) Ryan Erdman, Piscataway, 51.62.
1) Nathan Borges, Piscataway, 4:31.82, meet record; 2) Dan Badaway, St. Joseph (Met.), 4:55.16; 3) CJ Talerico, St. Joseph, 5:04.26; 4) Nathan Zhong, J.P. Stevens, 5:12.05; 5) Chris Hulsart, Old Bridge, 5:16.25; 6) John Neilson, Old Bridge, 5:19.28.
200 Freestyle Relay
1) St. Joseph (Met.) (Darien Betances, Ben Lockey, Will Barnett, Marco Niro) 1:28.94; 2) J.P. Stevens 1:32.39; 3) East Brunswick 1:34.92; 4) St. Joseph (Met.) 1:35.14; 5) Sayreville 1:36.87; 6) North Brunswick 1:38.29
1) Tyler Knurek, St. Joseph (Met.), 52.01, a new meet record; 2) Joseph Gurski, Woodbridge, 52.38; 3) Richard Park, St. Joseph (Met.), 53.99; 4) Thomas Askew, 54.40; 5) Alan Xia, Metuchen, 54.63; 6) Ryan Kappes, North Brunswick, 55.25.
1) Darien Betances, St. Joseph (Met.), 58.20, meet record; 2) Ryan VanDeVeen, East Brunswick, 58.66; 3) Keren Huang, J.P. Stevens, 1:00.03; 4) Alex Liu, Metuchen, 1:01.20; 5) Edgar Godoy, South Amboy, 1:03.56; 6) Benjamin Hong, East Brunswick, 1:04.15.
1) St. Joseph (Met.) (Richard Park, CJ Talerico, Will Barnett, Tyler Knurek) 3:15.76, a new meet record; 2) East Brunswick 3:25.20; 3) Piscataway 3:25.75; 4) J.P. Stevens 3:28.00; 5) South Brunswick 3:31.23; 6) Metuchen 3:33.63.
Saint Joseph High School (Metuchen) Swim Roster 2019-2020
- Daniel Badaway
- Will Barnett
- Darien Betances
- Ben Bexzynski
- Greg Bergquist
- Paul Bergquist
- Giovanni Dinten
- Varad Donwad
- Brian Fahy
- Tyler Graham
- Alex Hawryluk
- EJ Kennedy
- Tyler Knurek
- Ben Lockey
- Marcel Milewski
- Roman Modhera
- Ashkay Nambiar
- Marco Niro
- Richard Park
- Justin Ramos
- Nick Robertson
- Marcos Rodriguez
- Nestor Sinchire
- Jake Stellatella
- Will Sullivan
- CJ Talerico
- Kyle Talerico
- Aiden Thompson
- Tanner Tighelaar
- Vinny Tramontana
- Jim Yu