SCOTCH PLAINS, NJ -- For the first time in school history last weekend, the Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School girls track team won the NJSIAA North II Group III State Sectional Winter Track & Field Championship at the John Bennett Indoor Sports Complex in Toms River. In recognition of their historic accomplishment, the Scotch Plains-Fanwood girls track team are this week's Joint Motion Physical Therapy Athletes of the Week.
Scotch Plains-Fanwood took the lead with a 1-2 finish in the 400 Meters by Julia Jackson and Jenai Berry and never looked back. The girls placed in every event except one and ultimately finished 30 points ahead of second place Summit.
"Winning this meet was something that we started talking about a year ago when our boys had such a high level of success last winter in the state meets," Coach Jeff Koegel said. "We were returning most of our core performers on the girls team and figured that with another year of training, we would be in a place where we could do bigger things."
Even though the team wasn't at full strength in this meet, they still performed at a very high level.TThe girls demonstrated their balance as a team, scored in every event except the 1600, and placed first in the 55, 400, 800, high jump, pole vault, and 4 x 400.
"We have done a lot of great things this season and are hoping there is much more to come through the remainder of championship season," Coach Koegel added. "This was a huge victory for our program."
At the Sectionals, Katherine Chouinard broke the school indoor record in the pole vault while winning the event. Julia Jackson and Jenai Berry have been trading the indoor school record in the 400 Meters back and forth throughout the season. Between them, they now have the nine fastest indoor 400 times in school history, just from this season alone. Jenai Berry broke the school record in the 400 on Monday at the County meet, and then Julia Jackson broke it again on Tuesday at Easterns -- and that was right after Jenai broke the school indoor record in the 800.
"Amongst freshmen, Jenai has the fastest 400 time and the second fastest 800 time in the state. These two have been our biggest point-scorers on the track, and they put us out to a big lead right away at sectionals with a 1-2 finish in the 400," Coach Koegel said.
Che won the Sectional high jump for the second straight year. Third place finishes from Olivia Fletcher in the shot put and Nicole Agwu in the hurdles were huge contributions, according to Coach Koegel.
Sectional Meet Results
- 55 Meters: Julia Jackson (7.51), a PR, finished first.
- 400 Meters: Julia Jackson and Jenai Berry finished 1-2.
- 800 Meters: Jenai Berry won with a time of 2:25.45.
- 1600 Meters: Gabby Crona (5:29.13) finished seventh, Olivia Zambrio (5:41.80) finished tenth, and Lauren Hahn (5:46.31) finished twelfth.
- 3200 Meters: Olivia Zambrio (11:54.53) finished third, Madison Orlins (11:54.87) finished fourth, and Gabby Crona (11:55.54) finished sixth.
- 55 Hurdles: Nicole Agwu (8.93) finished third, and Anina Dashiell (9.28) finished seventh.
- 4x400: Scotch Plains-Fanwood (Jenai Berry, Nicole Agwu, Zuri Kennedy, Julia Jackson) won the event with a time of 4:11.87
- Shot Put: Olivia Fletcher (33-04.25) finished third, and Antoinette Chango (27-02.00) finished twelfth.
- High Jump: Che Dashiell (5-00.00) won the Sectional championship for the second year in a row. Anina Dashiell (4-08.00) finished sixth.
- Pole Vault: Katherine Chouinard (8-00.00) finished first.
Joint Motion Physical Therapy is located across the street from the Stage House Tavern and shares a free, handicap accessible parking lot with the Scotch Plains Public Library. Joint Motion can be reached for an appointment by phone 908-322-3202, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also learn more at www.facebook.com/JointMotionPT.
Joint Motion Physical Therapy
373 Park Ave.
Scotch Plains, NJ 07076
TAPintoSPF.net is Scotch Plains-Fanwood’s only free daily local news source. Sign up for our free daily eNewsletter and “Like” us on Facebook and twitter @SPF_TAP. Download the free TAPinto App for iPhone or Android.