SCOTCH PLAINS/FANWOOD, NJ -- Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2020, Signing Day at Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School, marked a symbolic, but important, step in the career progression of a dozen talented Raiders who will continue playing their respective sports in college.
Scotch Plains-Fanwood athletic director Ryan Miller began the ceremony by discussing all the factors involved in the decision-making process beyond the sport itself: playing time, academics and majors, school size and location.
The Raiders who celebrated with their coaches and family today were:
- Olivia Zambrio, Girls Cross Country/Track — University of Pittsburgh
- Cassidy Novello, Girls Field Hockey — Wellesley
- Aiden Guma, Boys Lacrosse — Montclair State
- Maggie Lapolla, Girls Lacrosse — University of Maryland, Baltimore
- Dan Coyle, Boys Soccer — Colgate
- Owen Murphy, Boys Soccer — Rowan/Montclair State
- Eli Wolman, Boys Soccer — Arcadia
- Gabby Aloe, Girls Soccer — Stevens Institute
- Maya Kessler, Girls Soccer — Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)
- Elizabeth Ley, Girls Soccer — Drew University
- Rachel Schoss, Girls Soccer — Virginia Weslyan
- Michael Urbano, Baseball — New Jersey City University
"They are making a 40-year decision, not just a four-year decision," Miller told TAPintoSPF. "The school they choose will impact the rest of their lives. There is much more to consider than just being able to play a sport. It has to be the right fit for many reasons."
TAPintoSPF.net is Scotch Plains-Fanwood’s only free daily local news source. Sign up for our free daily eNewsletter and “Like” us on Facebook and Twitter @SPF_TAP. Download the free TAPinto App for iPhone or Android.