BRANCHBURG, NJ -- The New Jersey YMCA 8 and Under State Championship took place on Saturday, Feb. 1, 2020, at Raritan Valley Community College in Branchburg, NJ. Fourteen YMCA teams competed in Saturday’s event, which is comprised of the youngest swimmers within the YMCA community.
The Fanwood Scotch Plains YMCA (FSPY) 8 and Under swim team came out in full force for this event, which kicks off the NJ YMCA Swim Championship season. Close to 30 swimmers ranging in ages from 6 to 8 years old represented FSPY in their final YMCA meet of the season.
- FSPY girls Sage-Alyssa Isleta, Sophia Lukov, Sally Lin and Emma Begarney kicked off the Girls Events by winning 1st place in the 100 Medley Relay, providing a strong start to an exciting day for FSPY.
- 25 Free: Anastassia Nath, Anastasia Geissman, Begarney and Isleta placed 4th, 8th, 10th, and 11th respectively
- 25 Breast: Sally Lin placed 2nd, with Lukov close behind earning 3rd place, and Geissman in 6th
- 50 Free: Begarney came in 5th, Nath in 6th, and Lin in 10th place
- 25 Back: Isleta earned 1st place. Serene Riaz came in 7th and Sophia Lee in 10th
- 25 Fly: Lin placed 10th
The relay team of Begarney, Nath, Lin, and Isleta closed out the 7-year-old girls’ events by giving FSPY another first-place relay finish, this time in the 100 Free Relay, while the relay team of Emma Baglien, Geissman, Lee and Lukov placed 6th.
8U year old Girls:
- Camille Keeler grabbed the top spot coming in 1st in the 50 Free
- 25 Back had Rose Ferreiro coming in at 12th
- 25 Fly: Keeler came in at 5th
- 100 Free Relay team of Ferreiro, Serafina DiMeglio, Ivy Zhang, and Camille Keeler came in 12th
Concluding the Girls events for the day was the 100 Individual Medley in which Keeler finished 2nd
7 and Under Boys:
- FSPY Boys team of Alexandros Balakrishnan, Jayden Yip, Ethan Yang and Nolan Bergarney came in 2nd place in the 100 Medley Relay
- 25 Free: Yang came in 11th, while R.J. North took 14th.
- 25 Breast was well-represented by FSPY boys with Yip grabbing 1st place, Yang in 3rd, Balakrishnan in 6th, and Begarney in 10th place
- 50 Free: Balakrishnan placed in 8th
- 25 Back: Yip posted another 1st place win, with North in 8th and Begarney coming in at 12th
- 25 Fly: Yip took 2nd place, with Yang in 4th
- FSPY team of Yang, Begarney, North and Yip finished 3rd in the 100 Free Relay.
8 year old Boys:
- The 8-year-old boys team of Austin Briamonte, Sebastian Rodriguez, Jayden Le and Stefan Monteith placed 7th in the 100 Medley Relay
- 25 Breast: Rodriguez finished in 9th place
- 50 Free: Le took 11th
- 25 Back: Le posted 5th, while Briamonte placed 14th
- 25 Fly: Le flew to a 9th place finish
- 100 Free Relay team of Rodriguez, Briamonte, Hutton Davis and Le took 8th.
Congratulations to all the FSPY 8 and under swimmers for an amazing and fun season!
The Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA swim team is a year-round competitive team offering high quality professional coaching and technique instruction. For more information, contact Chris Karelus, Head Coach and Director of Competitive Aquatics, 908-889-8880 x129.
The YMCA is the nation's leading nonprofit committed to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. For information on membership or programs, or to request a schedule of classes, call the Y at (908) 889-8880 or visit www.fspymca.org. Financial assistance is available for those who qualify.