MAPLEWOOD AND SOUTH ORANGE, NJ - At about 11 a.m. on Monday, Maplewood Police issued an advisory about a coastal storm which stated, "heavy rains and flooding are projected. Use caution. Drive safely."
The National Weather Service issued a storm warning and wind advisory for Maplewood and South Orange, which are both in effect until 1 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 24, and a flood watch in effect until 6 a.m. on Tuesday.
Maplewood police provided the following information from PSE&G:
- Gale-force winds can cause flying debris, and bring down trees and power lines. Customers should be cautious and stay alert to their surroundings during and after storms:
- Downed wires should always be considered “live.” Do not approach or drive over a downed line and do not touch anything it might be in contact with. If a wire falls on or near your car, stay inside the car, call 911, and do not get out until PSE&G deenergizes the line. If you MUST get out of the vehicle because it is on fire, jump as far as possible away from the vehicle, with both feet landing on the ground at the same time, and hop or shuffle away.
- To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, do not run any gasoline powered engine, including generators and snowblowers, in a garage or any other enclosed space.
- To report downed wires or power outages, call PSE&G’s Customer Service line at 1-800-436-PSEG. Also, customers can report outages by logging into their PSE&G account online or by texting “OUT” to 4PSEG (47734). The utility’s mobile-friendly website includes an “Outage Map” that is updated every 15 minutes and displays the location and status of power outages in PSE&G’s service area.
- 3:50 p.m.: The Board of Education meeting originally scheduled to take place this evening at 7:30 p.m. at Columbia High School has been cancelled due to weather conditions. The January Board of Education meeting will now take place on Monday, January 30,, at Columbia High School, at 7:30 p.m., stated an email from the school district.
- 3:30 p.m.: Due to high wind conditions, all South Orange Maplewood schools will be closed from 6:30 p.m. on, and all after school activities from 6:30 p.m., on are cancelled on Jan. 23, according to an email from the school district.
3:30 p.m.: The South Orange Maplewood Board of Education meeting will take place at 7:30 p.m. on Jan. 23 at Columbia High School as scheduled, according to an email from the school district. 11 a.m.: Tuscan Rd. in Maplewood closed from Prospect St. to Valley St. due to wires down, according to Maplewood police. PSEG correcting service issue.Tuscan Rd. re-open as of 4 p.m. according to an email from Maplewood police.
This article will continue to be updated throughout the storm.