SOUTH ORANGE AND MAPLEWOOD, NJ - It's leaf collection time in South Orange and Maplewood. Here are details about when, where and how to have leaves ready for collection in the two towns.
Final leaf collection is December 7 in South Orange, and the week of November 30 or the week of December 7 depending on the section, in Maplewood.
South Orange Leaf Collection
Additional information from South Orange:
- Leaves should be piled no more than four feet from the curb, and must not extend into traffic lanes.
- Leaves left in plastic bags will not be picked up.
- Leaves can be raked into gutters during leaf season only. Any rakeout after this time will be in violation of municipal ordinances and the leaves will not be picked up.
- During leaf pick-up season, no debris other than leaves are permitted in the streets and will not be picked up. Improper placements could prevent leaf pick-ups.
- Evenly distributed leaves are easier to pick up with the leaf vacuum collector. Residents are asked to avoid creating leaf mounds since they attract children who are then subjected to traffic dangers. Mounds also create potential fire hazards and may interfere with traffic.
- Leaf piles should not extend more than four feet from the curb.
- Do not place leaves within 10’ (10 feet) of storm catch basins.
- Leaf pick-up cycles in South Orange are estimated at eleven days, depending upon the rake-out volume. To reduce clutter between collections, residents are asked to approximate upcoming pick-up days and rake out accordingly.
- Any leaves left at curbside after Dec. 7 will be a violation of municipal ordinances.
- If you live on a county road, call (973) 239-3366 for leaf removal information.
For questions or more information about the South Orange Leaf Collection, call (973) 239-3366.
Maplewood Leaf Collection
Leaf collection begins the week of Oct.12. Leaf piles will be collected in all sections this week, with regular sectional collection beginning on Oct. 19.
A map of leaf collection zones is here, and the schedule with collection dates is here. Depending on location, the final week of leaf pick up is either the week of Nov. 30 (zones 1, 2, 3 and 4) or Dec. 7 (zones 5 and 6).
Additional information from Maplewood:
- No leaves shall be put in the street more than 7 days prior to your scheduled week.
- No leaves shall be put in the street after the Sunday of your last collection week.
- No plastic bags or branches may be mixed with the leaves.
- Leaves will not be collected if there is evidence of plastic bags, branches, or other waste items.
- Leaves should be left at the curb by the first day of pick-up in an area to ensure they are collected that week. Do not put leaves out more than one week before your collection week.
- Weather and equipment failures may cause a delay in the collection schedule. Delays should not be more than 1 or 2 days.
- If township gets ahead of schedule they may come through your section early, but will also be back during your scheduled week.
For questions or more information about the Maplewood Leaf Collection Program, please contact the Public Works Department at (973) 762-1175.