MAPLEWOOD/SOUTH ORANGE, NJ — Both Maplewood and South Orange case numbers have risen in the past week, according to today’s coronavirus numbers report from Essex County. Maplewood is up to 408, up six from Oct. 27; South Orange is up two cases to 165 total cases over the same four-day period.
Although today’s coronavirus numbers have not been vetted by their respective local health departments, they mirror the trend across Essex County and New Jersey. Essex County advises that the number of infected individuals in any municipality is likely to be much greater than indicated as this data only includes persons who have been tested and whose lab results have been reported in the New Jersey's data system.
Essex County Public Health Recommendations
• Get a flu shot! It’s best to get vaccinated in September or October, but you can get vaccinated into January.
• Wear a cloth or disposable mask when in public (both indoors and outdoors).
• Practice social distancing (keep a 6-foot space between you and others).
• Follow good respiratory hygiene recommendations.
• Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue or sleeve, not your hands.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water. Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
• Stay home if you are sick and avoid sick people.
• Review and follow CDC travel advisories when planning travel. If you become ill after returning home the United States, call your healthcare provider before going to a doctor’s office or emergency department of a hospital. Wear a cloth or disposable mask when entering the building to protect others.
• Stay up to date about COVID-19. If you have COVID-19 questions call 211, 1-800-826-1253, or visit the NJ State Coronavirus website at covid19.nj.gov.
• A reminder for faith communities about celebrating safely to avoid increased transmission of COVID19: Follow COVID-19 guidance when observing religious holidays and Fall festivals and adhere to gathering restrictions, maintain social distancing and wear masks, as outlined in the Governor's Executive Orders, and stay connected by joining or hosting observances via phone or video conferencing and via live-streaming on social media.
OTHER LOCAL NEWS:
TAPinto SOMA is a free online newspaper serving the Townships of Maplewood and South Orange Village with no paywall. TAPinto SOMA is accredited by the New Jersey Press Association, and is a locally owned news organization serving the community.