SOUTH ORANGE, NJ - At the last two Development Committee meetings, Bob Zuckerman, Executive Director of the South Orange Village Alliance (SOVCA), provided updates about restaurant and store openings and closings, as well as potential new tenants coming to South Orange.
Here is a list of what places are coming soon, just opened, or closed:
- Buy Rite liquor store on Valley Street held its grand opening on Saturday, Jan. 27. (Read more about their grand opening here.)
- K Kakes Cakery, started by South Orange entrepreneurs, is located in the Third and Valley apartment complex and is expected to open by the end of February. K Kakes is a full service bakery that specializes in Jamaican baked products and American products such as cupcakes with a Jamaican flare.
- Bayleaf Indian Cuisine has had ongoing issues with the Building Department, and hopes to open soon. Bayleaf will be located at 115 South Orange Avenue in the former Neelam space.
- Jackie & Son – This new breakfast, lunch and brunch spot will be opening at 134-136 South Orange Avenue in the spaces that formerly housed Yama Sushi and Colonial Cleaners. New owner Jackie Podhurst is a South Orange resident and is also the owner of two other restaurants called Jackie’s Grillette in Montclair and Little Falls. Jackie & Son hopes to open by the end of March.
- Restaurants which have expressed an interest in opening locations in South Orange include Frutta Bowls (a new franchise with a location in Livingston), Toast (currently has a location in Montclair), Kimchi Smoke Barbeque (currently has a location in Westwood, and until recently, one in Montclair that closed).
- A major New York City restaurant group has also expressed interest in opening a restaurant in town.
- There has been interest in opening a permanent pop-up store.
- The former Cryan’s space on First St. has been leased to The Suite Spot, an event space planning to open this summer. The operator currently has locations in Livingston and Montclair. (Read more about it here.)
- Above Restaurant is currently closed, and plans to re-open in March. The restaurant will be re-branded as One South under new management with a menu featuring American food with a Mediterranean flair. (Read more here.)
- Rite Aid on South Orange Avenue will be rebranded as Walgreens.
- Gallery OVO on South Orange Avenue is closing in June. The owners are moving to Reinbeck, NY. Three shows are planned at OVO before it closes.
- CMB Kicks on South Orange Avenue is closing and will be replaced by a Verizon store.
- The former Pro Pets space on Valley Street, which has been vacant for more than a year, is currently in lease negotiations with a new tenant who expects to sign the lease by the end of February and to open in early June.
There is currently only one vacancy in the South Orange Village Center, shared Zuckerman.