SOUTH ORANGE, NJ - There was a precautionary evacuation Thursday morning at South Orange Middle School (SOMS), according to an email from the school to the SOMS community at about 11:45 a.m.
The email stated that SOMS was evacuated "as a precaution at approximately 10:35 a.m., at the direction of PSE&G after a Bunsen burner malfunctioned."
Students and staff returned to the building at 11:25 a.m., and classes resumed, according to the email.
All SOMS students are safe, and no injuries were reported. However, "one teacher sustained minor injuries when the burner malfunctioned and is receiving medical care," stated the email.
The email from SOMS thanked PSE&G, the South Orange Fire Department, and the South Orange Police Department for their quick response.