SOUTH ORANGE, NJ - The South Orange Fire Department responded to a 911 emergency report of a house fire at a home on University Court in South Orange at about 10 p.m. on Saturday night, according to a release from Deputy Chief Daniel Sullivan of the South Orange Fire Department. 

There were no injuries from the fire, and two pets were rescued from the building. The fire, which was classified as accidental due to excessive heat from an appliance, was extinguished by about 11:45 p.m., stated Sullivan.

Upon arrival, firefighters found heavy smoke from the first- and second-floor levels of the home, and when firefighters entered the structure they were able to locate a fire in the first floor kitchen that was extending to the second floor via the wall space, stated Sullivan.

Sign Up for E-News

"Firefighters quickly extinguished and suppressed this fire while a simultaneous search of the premises was conducted with negative results," stated Sullivan, who added that an extensive search was conducted to locate any hidden fire on the first floor, or above floors.

Due to significant damage to the interior of the structure, the two-and-a-half story home was declared uninhabitable by the South Orange Construction Official, and the residents were temporarily relocated on Saturday night by the American Red Cross, stated the release from the South Orange Fire Department.

Fire Departments from Maplewood and Orange provided mutual aid at the scene, and the Irvington, East Orange and West Orange Fire Departments provided additional coverage during the incident. Also at the scene of the fire was the South Orange Volunteer Rescue Squad to address any medical issues.