The Township of Maplewood, New Jersey is accepting applications for the position of Municipal Court Judge (Judge). The Judge oversees the municipal court and works with the Municipal Court Administrator to maintain a professional, efficient and effective court operation. The Judge has responsibility for motor vehicle and parking tickets and minor criminal-type offenses and municipal ordinance offenses that occur within Maplewood. The Judge also issues orders of protection, injunctions against harassment, and search warrants.
The Judge will be appointed by the Maplewood Township Committee for a three-year term beginning January 1, 2019. The position is considered part-time and employee benefits are not provided. The current annual salary range is $48,000 to $63,000.
- Have a demonstrated ability to apply the law fairly and impartially
- Be an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey
- Have practiced law for at least ten years
- Reside in Maplewood
- Be available for regular court sessions on Monday evening and the third Thursday morning of each month and for special court sessions as needed
- Be accessible 24 hours per day, everyday, to respond to requests for orders, warrants, etc. from the Maplewood Police Department or Maplewood Municipal Court.
In addition, the Maplewood Township Committee is seeking a Judge with high personal and professional ethical standards who is able to:
- Hear many different cases during each session in an organized and expedited fashion
- Communicate with a diverse audience in a calm and courteous manner
- Listen and consider what is said by all sides
- Control proceedings in a manner that preserves the dignity of all and ensures a civil, efficient and safe experience for anyone appearing before the court
- Understand how judicial decisions affect those appearing before the court.
- Engage in research to keep informed of new laws and statutes and be aware of precedents being set by other courts and jurisdictions
- Adhere to municipal ordinances as adopted by the Township Committee.
Applications will be accepted through 4:00pm on Friday, October 26, 2018.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume and two letters of reference by email to Elizabeth J. Fritzen, Township Clerk at email@example.com. Please insert in the subject line: Municipal Judge Position.
Judge Stanley Varon, who has served as Maplewood's Municipal Court Judge since 1997, is retiring at the end of 2018. The Township Committee is seeking a new judge.