SOUTH ORANGE AND MAPLEWOOD, NJ - With blizzard conditions expected in South Orange and Maplewood this weekend, most events and programs have been cancelled or postponed.
On Fri., Jan. 22, at approx. 9 p.m., Governor Christie declared a State of Emergency in New Jersey, and motorists are urged to stay off the roads on Sat., Jan. 23. There is no parking on county roads in Essex County beginning at 10 p.m. on Fri., Jan. 22, and a full list of parking restrictions can be found here.
A State of Emergency has been declared in South Orange as of midnight on Fri. night, and South Orange Village President Sheena Collum shared on Facebook, "parking restrictions are now in place that prohibit all on street parking and we ask residents to stay off the roads until further notice unless absolutely necessary to allow the Department of Public Works and emergency vehicles safe access."
Sign Up for E-News
A State of Emergency was declared in Maplewood at 6 p.m. on Friday night, and Maplewood Mayor has provided an update on the winter storm as of Saturday morning that can be found here.
Here is a list of confirmed cancellations and postponements in South Orange and Maplewood:
SATURDAY, JANUARY 23
- Maplewood Township Committee Budget Meeting has been postponed to a later date.
- South Orange Health Department Rabies Clinic has been rescheduled for Sat., Feb. 20, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. at 298 Walton Ave., South Orange.
- South Mountain Y Summer Camp Fair and Reunion has been rescheduled for Fri., Feb. 5 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Details here
- All South Orange recreation basketball and indoor soccer games are cancelled.
- Baseball and softball registration is cancelled this weekend. In person registration will now take place at The Baird in South Orange on Jan. 30 and Jan. 31 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., and Feb. 6 and Feb. 7 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Recycling Center (located at 359 Boyden Ave., Maplewood) will be closed.
- All South Orange Maplewood School District buildings are closed.
- Studio 509 is closed.
- South Mountain YMCA is closed.
- Mara's in South Orange is closed.
- The Able Baker in Maplewood is closed.
- No. 165 in Maplewood is closed.
- Kimaya Kama in Maplewood is closed.
- Maplewood Karate is closed.
- UPS store in South Orange is closed.
- Nargiz Cafe in Maplewood is closed.
SUNDAY, JANUARY 24
- Open Hearth Demonstration at the Durand-Hedden house has been rescheduled for Sun., March 6. Details here
ESSEX COUNTY CLOSURES
From Essex County Executive Joseph N. DiVincenzo, Jr.:
- Visiting hours at the Essex County Correctional Facility have been cancelled on Saturday, Jan. 23.
- Essex County Turtle Back Zoo, Essex County Codey Arena and the Essex County Environmental Center are closed on Saturday, Jan. 23.
- Senior Buildings located in the Essex County Parks System will be closed from Saturday, Jan. 23 to Monday, Jan. 25.
NJ Transit will "implement a temporary full shutdown of the system" beginning at 2 a.m. on Sat., Jan. 23. The suspension of service includes rail, bus, light rail, and Access Link. According to the NJ Transit website
, "service will resume when weather conditions permit."
NJ Transit is cross-honoring tickets and passes on bus, rail, light rail and private bus carrier services through Sunday, January 24, and possibly longer depending on the length and severity of the winter storm.
Amtrak is operating on a modified schedule
, and has cancelled some routes. Passengers are urged to call or check the Amtrak website for details before heading to the station.
Please send any notifications of event changes and closures to Anna Sandler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TAP into SOMA will continue to update this article and the TAP Into SOMA Facebook page here as cancellations and other storm information becomes available.