Updated at 9 a.m. on Thursday, March 8
SOUTH ORANGE AND MAPLEWOOD, NJ - The snow storm, which downed trees, left many without power, and closed schools and much of SOMA on Wednesday, has also caused delays and closures on Thursday, March 8.
Here are the latest updates:
South Orange Maplewood School District:
- South Orange Maplewood School District and all of its schools will be closed Thursday, details here.
Township of Maplewood:
- No jitney service in Maplewood on Thursday.
- Municipal offices plan to open at noon.
- Warming Shelter open at DeHart Park is open for those who need it.
- Numerous road closures on Valley Street, Ridgewood Road, Wyoming Avenue, Prospect Street, Jefferson Avenue, Maplewood Avenue, and countless interior streets.
- Springfield Ave has multiple traffic lights that are not functioning. All turns may not be possible at all intersection. It is advised that you avoid Springfield Ave.
Village of South Orange:
- Traveling continues to be extremely hazardous and residents are advised to stay sheltered and off the roads.
- Municipal Offices are closed Thursday. All emergency services and public works will continue to operate.
- The Baird Community Center (5 Mead Street) is serving as a Warming Station.
- No Jitney service in South Orange on Thursday.
- Senior Bus Service on Thursday is canceled.
- Read the full winter storm update from South Orange here.
Maplewood Memorial Library
- Main branch and Hilton branch to open at noon on Thursday.
South Orange Public Library
- South Orange Public Library will open at 11 a.m. on Thursday.
New Jersey Transit:
- New Jersey Transit Morris & Essex line trains are suspended due to overhead wire problems.
Essex County Executive Joseph N. DiVincenzo, Jr.:
- Turtle Back Zoo, Codey Arena and the Environmental Center will be closed on Thursday. (This is an update from an earlier statement that they would have a delayed opening.)
- All senior buildings in the Parks System will be closed on Thursday.
- Visitation at the Correctional Facility is canceled on Thursday.
According to the PSE&G outage map as of 9 a.m. on Thursday, there are 1,457 outages in Maplewood and 1,164 outages in South Orange. On Wednesday, March 7, at 10 p.m. the PSE&G outage map reported 3,804 outages in Maplewood and 1,104 outages in South Orange.