WEST ORANGE, NJ — St. Patrick's Day is almost here. While not a legal holiday in the United States, March 17 is nevertheless widely celebrated across the Garden State, especially in West Orange. The 65th West Orange St. Patrick's Day Parade is set for Sunday, March 13, with the Step-Off scheduled for 12:15 p.m. at Main Street and Mt. Pleasant Avenue.
Many towns, like West Orange, host annual parades in the weekends leading up to and directly following the 17th when not just Irish eyes are smiling. Some parades are billed as 'The Shortest St. Patrick's Day Parade,' while others, like West Orange go all out.
Morning Mass will be held at 9:15 a.m. on the day at St. Joseph's Church, which is located at Benvenue Avenue in West Orange.
“Our Parade has always been about Faith, Family, and Tradition. Brendan Tevlin exemplified those traits. His faith was strong and recognized throughout the Irish community. Brendan was a part of our parade family. He participated in our parade since he was a baby; at first carried up the street and then marching as a Piper. He was active with our parade committee and was always ready to assist. I believe that one day Brendan would've been chairman and in the future a Grand Marshal. He was everything that this parade represents, and that is why at the investiture I will announce that we will put Brendan's name 'In Memoriam' of our Parade alongside the names of Archbishop Thomas A. Boland and Patrick Melvin."
Parade Day Info
- Morning Mass will begin at 9:15 a.m. at St. Joseph's Church, Benevenue Avenue, West Orange. Honorees, Parade Committee, the Frank O’Hara Association and the Irish American Society members and their families have been asked to begin assembling at 8:45 a.m.
- Main Street will be closed to traffic (north and south bound) at approximately 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. to allow for shuttle buses to transport marchers and spectators to the beginning of the Parade Route.
- Eagle Rock Avenue, beginning at the entrance to Eagle Rock Reservation (east bound at Crest Drive (Eagle Rock Reservation) and to all traffic at Mountain Avenue), will be closed to traffic beginning at 11 a.m.
- Mt. Pleasant Avenue will be closed to vehicular traffic at Gregory Avenue, eastbound and to all vehicular traffic at Laird Drive.
- Ancillary Streets along the Main Street corridor may also be closed as needed.
- The parade route will start at the corners of Main Street and Mt. Pleasant Avenue (West Orange Town Hall) and run north along Main Street to Our Lady of Lourdes Church on Eagle Rock Avenue.
- Grand Stands will be located on Main Street across from Community House and in front of Degnan House. Parade ad books will be available.
- Shuttle buses will run from 10:45 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. from the corner of Mississippi Avenue and Eagle Rock Avenue to the beginning of the parade at Main Street and Mt. Pleasant Avenue.
- Parking will be available at Our Lady of Lourdes Church, school parking lots and on adjacent streets. Parking at the beginning of the Parade will also be available on streets adjacent to Main Street and Mt. Pleasant Avenue. Guests are asked not to block driveways. Those that do block driveways will get towed.
- Parking restrictions. Emergency No Parking signage will be placed along the Parade Routes and ancillary Streets along the parade route. Vehicles in violation of parking restrictions will be ticketed and impounded at the owner’s expense.
Click HERE to see photos from last year's parade.
Click HERE for a list of other St. Patrick's Day parades.