SOUTH ORANGE AND MAPLEWOOD, NJ - A winter storm is hitting South Orange and Maplewood, with ten to 14 inches of snow expected before it ends Thursday evening. A Winter Storm Warning from the National Weather Service is in effect until 6 p.m.
The storm warning predicts heavy snow, hazardous travel due to snow covered roads and poor visibilities of one quarter mile or less at times. The warning also stated that blowing and driving snow is possible. Winds may reach 15-25 mph, gusting over 30 mph in some areas.
The Maplewood Fire Department requests that residents "Adopt-a-Hydrant," and clear the fire hydrants closest to their home, details here.
Closings on Feb. 9
- Maplewood Municipal Offices are closed; Police, Fire and Public Works offices are open.
- South Orange Municipal Offices and all non-essential service are closed.
- An Emergency Declaration has been declared in South Orange at 8:00 a.m.: parking restrictions are in place that prohibit all on street parking and residents are asked to stay off the roads until further notice unless absolutely necessary to allow Department of Public Works and emergency vehicles safe access.
- Maplewood Memorial Library is closed.
- Seton Hall University will be closed. Day classes as well as University events will be cancelled. SHUFLY and SafeRide services have also been cancelled for Thursday.
- Many local restaurants and stores are closed or have delayed openings and early closings. In Maplewood, the Able Baker is open but may close early, Words is opening late, and Palmer's is closed
Update from Maplewood Public Works
- Residents are advised to try not to park on the streets until the snow removal process has been completed.
- Deposit of snow in plowed streets is unlawful (ordinance 239-2).
Update from South Orange
The Township of South Orange Village Office of Emergency Management has issued a statement that they are monitoring the storm, and that heavy snow is expected.
Residents are required to clear snow as best as possible from their sidewalks following snowfall, within 12 daylight hours. Do not shovel snow into roadways, as it puts emergency vehicles in danger. Please be careful when shoveling and take frequent breaks.
On street parking is prohibited and travel is highly discouraged. If you have an on street parking permit, please move your vehicle to the nearest municipal lot.
Update from South Orange Parking Authority
- Senior Bus Service is cancelled. Service will resume on Friday weather permitting.
- All Jitney Commuter Service is cancelled. Service will resume on Friday weather permitting.
- All vehicles with On-Street parking permits must move their vehicle(s) to the nearest municipal lot or the Third Street Garage to allow for snow plowing.
- All enforcement will be suspended during the storm.
- The SOPA office will be closed on Thursday.
- Any parking requests or issues should be called into the South Orange Police Dept at 973.763.3000.
- The SOPA office and all services will resume on Friday weather permitting.
Additional Updates from South Orange
- South Orange residents are required to clear snow as best as possible from their sidewalks within 12 hours following snowfall. Do not shovel snow into roadways, as it puts emergency vehicles in danger. Please be careful when shoveling and take frequent breaks.
- On street parking is prohibited and travel is highly discouraged. If you have an on street parking permit, please move your vehicle to the nearest municipal lot.
- Please report any power outages to PSEG at: 1-800-436-PSEG (7734)
- You can view the PSEG outage map: http://outagecenter.pseg.com/external/default.html
- If there are power outages, the Village asks all residents and neighborhood associations and groups to do their best to check on any residents that may be elderly or have special needs.
- Emergency calls for police, fire or medical service will be triaged and high priority calls will be answered first.
- Non-emergency information and requests for service can be submitted via SOConnect at http://www.southorange.org/597/SO-Connect or by downloading the app GovAlert on your mobile phone. Understand non high priority requests may not be responded to immediately.
- The Police Department, Fire Department, Rescue Squad, Department of Public Works and Office of Emergency Management are all staffed up to handle emergent conditions throughout the duration of the storm and operations are being coordinated through the Office of Emergency Management.
Update from Maplewood Police
- All on street overnight parking has been suspended on Feb. 9 and Feb. 9 due to storm.
Update from South Orange Maplewood School District
- All South Orange and Maplewood public schools are closed on Thursday, Feb. 9, due to the snow storm.