MAPLEWOOD/SOUTH ORANGE, NJ — The latest local COVID-19 statistics show that the rate of new cases is slowly decreasing. The South Orange seven-day average decreased during the past month. On April 1 it stood at 5.86 cases per day, while on April 30 it was 1.57 cases per day.
The most recent Maplewood case load total is 1,499, reported on April 29. South Orange reported 921 total cases as on April 30.
For today, Essex County reported zero new cases in South Orange and Maplewood. County-reported daily cases are reviewed by each township's health department and often change.
A little more than 3 million New Jerseyans are now fully vaccinated, which is almost half of the 6.9 million adults. The state's objective is to vaccinate 70%, or 4.7 million, residents by June 30.
Another 4.2 million (61%) NJ residents have had one vaccine.
The Department of Health recently announced that the six vaccine mega-centers will be accepting walk-in appointments, and all people aged 16+ are eligible. Those 16 and 17 must get the Pzifer vaccine.
Here are the six mega-center locations:
- Atlantic City Convention Center at 1 Convention Boulevard, Atlantic City
- Bergen County at 1 Racetrack Drive, East Rutherford
- Burlington County at 400 Route 38, Moorestown
- Gloucester County at Rowan College of South Jersey, 1400 Tanyard Road, Sewell
- Middlesex County at the New Jersey Convention and Exposition Center, 97 Sunfield Ave. Edison
- Morris County at 301 Mount Hope Ave., Rockaway
Masking and distancing should help NJ continue this promising trend.
IN LOCAL NEWS:
TAPinto SOMA is a free online newspaper serving the Townships of Maplewood and South Orange Village with no paywall. TAPinto SOMA is accredited by the New Jersey Press Association, and is a locally owned news organization serving the community.
Are you a business owner looking to reach our audience? Please reach out to us at email@example.com for information about our digital marketing packages.