SOUTH ORANGE, NJ — The South Orange Public Library is excited to announce the creation of two new book groups to complement our Fourth Monday of the Month Evening Book Discussion Group which has run successfully for 20 years.
Literary Bites: A Culinary Book Group will meet the third Monday of each month at 7:30 pm in the Library Meeting Room. Readers are encouraged to make a recipe from the selected book and bring it to the meeting where we will enjoy each other’s creations as we chat and discuss what we have read. Choices will range from fiction books that have recipes included to specific cooking genres, celebrity chef cookbooks, and other foodie suggestions. Our first meeting will be Monday, March 16, to discuss and create recipes from Catering to Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson. The main character, Goldy, is a Coloradoan caterer who somehow always has a dead body show up at her events. Sue Grafton exclaimed that Davidson’s books are “Delicious. Sure to satisfy.”
- The library will supply plates, utensils, and beverages for the recipe tastings.
- Hopefully we will be a big group so you do not need to make a lot as we are only tasting.
- Please have a list of ingredients available for people with allergies to see.
- We cannot warm foods in the library, so please bring your dish ready for serving.
- More than one person can make the same dish. It is interesting to see different interpretations of the same recipe.
- We cannot serve alcohol in the library, so any cocktail recipes will have to be tried at home!
- Bring containers for leftovers.
Books Into Film, our second new group, will be an afternoon event. We will be meeting on the third Friday of the month at 1 p.m. to discuss books that have been or are to be made into TV events or movies. The first meeting will be Friday March 20, in the Library meeting room. It’s been said to always read the book before you see the movie so that is what we will be doing! Our first selection will be local favorite The Plot Against America by Philip Roth.
As the book jacket says, “In an astonishing feat of narrative invention, our author imagines an alternate version of American history where Charles Lindberg is elected president.” The book is being serialized on HBO beginning March 16.
All are welcome and refreshments will be served. Copies of the books will be available at the adult circulation desk. There is no need to register to attend. If you have any questions or comments please contact Nancy Chiller Janow at 973-762-0230 or firstname.lastname@example.org