MAPLEWOOD, NJ — An abundance of caution prompted a Code Red Alert lockdown security procedure at Maplewood Middle School this morning, Nov. 26. 

According to Anide Eustache, communications specialist for the South Orange Maplewood School District, a student informed a staff member at the school that another student may have had a weapon. “We wanted to do our due diligence that there wasn’t a credible threat,” she said, and therefore a lockdown procedure was initiated.

An email was later sent to MMS families from Dara Crocker Gronau, MMS principal; it was provided to TAPinto SOMA by an MMS parent who wished to remain anonymous. In it, Crocker Gronau said the lockdown lasted “approximately 45 minutes.” She also stated that the Maplewood Police Department was called and “Once the building had been carefully checked and cleared and we received confirmation that there was no weapon on school grounds, lockdown security was lifted.”

Sign Up for SOMA Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

 

This real, although ultimately benign, lockdown comes just eight days after the South Orange Maplewood Board of Education passed Policy 8420, changing how security drills are handled within the district. Eustache said the superintendent is working on plans for implementing the policy and hopes to have something to communicate to the public about it within the next couple of weeks.