Newark, NJ—An illegal rooming house in Newark's South Ward has been shuttered and 12 people relocated after Newark fire inspectors discovered life-threatening conditions inside the property on Friday.

Newark Fire Inspectors responded after citizen complaints to a one-family house at 46-48 Van Ness Place and found “deplorable conditions” inside the residence, according to Newark Public Safety Director Anthony Ambrose.

The NJDCA Division of Fire Safety, along with Code Enforcement and Health Department officers inspected the premises and found faulty electrical wiring, illegal plumbing and gas lines, non-working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors as well as illegal bedrooms and cooking areas in the basement.

Sign Up for E-News

The single-family structure had been illegally converted into 14 bedrooms.

The residence was immediately closed for the violations and the property’s 12 adult residents provided with temporary shelter at the YMCA. 

The building’s owner, Quad T Holdings, LLC has been cited for numerous violations. Quad T Holdings is registered to Tyrone Ingram at 54 Carnegie Ave., East Orange, according to state records.

The matter was referred to municipal court and an application for a lien against the property will be submitted Monday.

“Quad T. Holdings is no stranger to us," Ambrose said. "We have had citizen complaints on several occasions relevant to other illegal rooming houses they own. However, we encourage our residents to continue partnering with us as we improve the quality of life for all of us, residents as well as visitors and business owners.”

Last month, another illegal rooming house belonging to Quad T. Holdings was shuttered after Newark fire inspectors and code officers cited the property owner for a series of violations.

The three-story residence, also located in the city's South Ward, was found to have dangerous conditions, including faulty electrical wiring, no running water and vermin infestation.

The single-family structure had been illegally converted into seven rooms.

The building was closed due to the violations, with seven adults and three children referred to the YMCA for temporary shelter.