MAPLEWOOD, NJ — Under the leadership of our 2019-2020 President, Claudine Baptiste, we pursued many opportunities to participate in and contribute towards a variety of initiatives in Maplewood and our extended communities. We have made new relationships with a variety of organizations including Glassroots, Academy 365, Isaiah Hous,e and the South Mountain Conservancy. We had a record year for our annual Christmas Tree sales, the largest fundraiser for this year. We expanded our fellowship by hosting a joint meeting with the Union Rotary Club, and through the generous donation of BCB Bank, were able to participate in a Family Night event at the Prudential Center and attend a New Jersey Devils hockey game. We held a ‘Socktober’ fund raiser to benefit the Isaiah House and received a generous donation from the Union High School Rotaract Club.
Though the COVID-19 pandemic has affected the way that we meet and participate in the community, it has provided us with an opportunity to revisit how we meet and provide additional resources to families in need. Through our bi-weekly Zoom meetings and outreach to community leaders and the Maplewood Police, we have identified ways to assist families, with particular emphasis upon food insecurity. We have committed over $20,000 in Covid-19 relief donations, have donated $5000 in food assistance to 10 local families and purchased fresh produce for distribution to the local food banks. As a gesture of our appreciation for the support staff at St. Barnabas Hospital, we donated 80+ box lunches supplied by La Trattoria.
We were disappointed that we could not host our annual Affair of the Heart gala at the Maplewood County Club, but we are already planning for the event in April of 2021. We look forward to the future when we can welcome you to our events. However, as we have embraced using video conferencing for our meetings, and will likely change our meeting schedule to include both face-to-face and video conferencing meetings, we encourage you to reach out to us if you are interested in joining us as we continue to practice the Rotary motto of ‘Service Above Self’.
Attached is a list of our donations, social and fundraising events. If you are interested in joining us, please contact Claudine Baptiste (email@example.com) or our President Elect Pamela Taylor (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Sock Drive “SockTober”
- Socktober Playday sale
- Donation to the Isaiah House for painting and Dinner and Sock distribution.
- Donation to Glassroots for Tablets to capture sales
- Christmas Tree Sale Fundraiser
- Camp Merryheart Service Day
- 4thof July Ice Cream Eating Contest
- Donation to School Supply Drive “Project 200”
- Donation to OysterFest
- Volunteer Evening at the Community Foodbank of New Jersey
- Troop Sponsorship and Participation in Maplewood Boy Scout Troops 5 Eagle Court of Honor
- Eat, Drink & Share Event Honoring Veterans
- Chamber of Commerce Networking Event
- Columbia High School Scholarship Fund
- District 7475 Rotary President’s Ball
- Academy 365
- South Mountain Conservancy Grant
- Donation to MEND (Meeting Essential Needs With Dignity)
- Donation to the YMCA
- Donation to the Parenting Center
- Donation to Achieve
- PBA #44 Project 200 School Supply Drive
Please visit our GoFundMe page Maplewood Rotary https://gf.me/u/xdrbdg to donate and support our cause in helping kids around the world. Cash App: $mapleoodrotary. If you can’t donate, it would be great if you could share the fundraiser to help spread the word.