MAPLEWOOD/SOUTH ORANGE, NJ — Due to the rescheduling of the 2020 Primary Election Date — now Tuesday, July 7, 2020, by Gov. Murphy's Executive Order No. 120 —the deadline to register to vote is Tuesday, June 16.
On June 16, the Maplewood Township Clerk’s Office, the South Orange Village Clerk's Office, and the Essex County Commissioner of Registration's Office at the Essex County Hall of Records will be open until 9 p.m.
Those wishing to vote by mail have until June 30 to request a “Mail-In Ballot” by mail to the either your local Clerk's Office or the Essex County Clerk's Office.
Those wishing to request a “Mail-In Ballot” in person have until 3 p.m. on Monday, July 6, to go to the Essex County Clerk's Office at the Essex County Hall of Records, 2nd Floor, 465 Dr. Martin Luther King., Jr. Boulevard, New Jersey.
For more questions, please contact the South Orange Village Clerk's Office at (973) 378-7715, ext. 1, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org; or Maplewood Township Clerk’s Office at (973) 762-8120, ext. 2104, or by email email@example.com.
Here is some additional information provided by vote.org:
COVID-19 and voting:
- The COVID-19 situation is quickly unfolding, and there will be daily changes. Please check vote.org/covid-19 for the latest updates.
Vote by mail:
- Following an Executive Order issued by Gov. Philip Murphy, the New Jersey primary will be conducted primarily through mail-in ballots.
- All currently registered Democratic and Republican voters will automatically receive a mail-in ballot to their mailing address on file. Voters who are unaffiliated with a political party will receive a mail-in ballot request form to their address on file.
- If you need to request a mail ballot, or if you need it sent somewhere other than the address at which you are registered, you can do so here.
- The deadline to request a mail-in ballot via the mail is June 30. Voters may also apply in person to their County Clerk no later than 3 pm.on July 6.
- Completed mail-in ballots must be postmarked by July 7.
Become a more informed voter:
Vote in person:
- New Jersey voters who wish to vote in person may vote via a provisional ballot at their local polling place on Election Day.
- Only select polling places will be open on Election Day. You might not be able to vote at your usual polling place.
- If you will be voting in-person at your polling place, please review the CDC's Recommendations on Protecting Yourself and Others.
- Use the New Jersey Division of Elections site to find your polling place.
If you have any problems voting:
- Call the nonpartisan Election Protection hotline at 866-OUR-VOTE (1-866-687-8683). The hotline is administered by the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law.
Read More: Students Protest A Thousand Strong
Read More: BQLM March and Rally in South Orange
Read More: Family Protest
Read More: SOMA Testing Sites for this week
TAPinto SOMA is a free online newspaper serving the Townships of Maplewood and South Orange Village with no paywall.
TAPinto SOMA is accredited by the New Jersey Press Association, and is a locally owned news organization serving the community.