SOUTH ORANGE AND MAPLEWOOD, NJ - Leaf collection is underway in South Orange and Maplewood, with final collections ending Dec. 5 in South Orange, and either the week of Dec. 3 or Dec. 10 in Maplewood, depending on the zone. The last leaf collection on Essex County roads is scheduled for Dec. 24 to Dec. 28.
Here's what you need to know for leaf collection in the two towns, including on Essex County roads.
SOUTH ORANGE LEAF COLLECTION
From the South Orange Village website:
Leaf Season will commence on October 22, 2018 and continue through December 5, 2018.
Residents must use the South Orange Leaf Map located at southorange.org under SO Community Map, selecting Leaf Map from the left column. Please follow the map to determine when it is appropriate to rake leaves out at your address. Zones are authorized to rake leaves out when they are shown in green on the Leaf Map, when they are red in color do not rake out until the zone reflects green again.
Residents on County Roadways must contact Essex County for their leaf pickup schedule at (973) 239-3366.
Regulations Regarding Leaf Season:
- Leaves should be piled no more than four feet from the curb, and must not extend into traffic lanes. Leaves left in plastic bags will not be picked up.
- Leaves can be raked into gutters during leaf season only. Any rake out after the time frame listed will be in violation of municipal ordinances and the leaves will not be picked up.
- During leaf pick-up season, no debris other than leaves are permitted in the streets and will not be picked up. Improper placements could prevent leaf pick-ups.
- Evenly distributed leaves are easier to pick up with the leaf vacuum collector. Residents are asked to avoid creating leaf mounds since they attract children who are then subjected to traffic dangers. Mounds also create potential fire hazards and may interfere with traffic. Leaf piles should not extend more than four feet from the curb. Do not place leaves within 10 feet of storm catch basins.
- Leaf pick-up cycles in South Orange are estimated at eleven days, depending upon the rake-out volume. To reduce clutter between collections, residents are asked to approximate upcoming pick-up days and rake out accordingly and strongly urged to follow the instructions regarding the Leaf Map.
Additional information here.
MAPLEWOOD LEAF COLLECTION
From the Maplewood Township website:
2018 leaf collection will begin the week of October 15.
Please note that weather and equipment failures may cause a delay in the collection schedule. Delays should not be more than 1 or 2 days. If the Township gets ahead of schedule, they may come through your section early, but will also be back during your scheduled week.
No leaves shall be put in the street more than 7 days prior to your scheduled week. No leaves shall be put in the street after the Sunday of your final collection week. No plastic bags or branches may be mixed with the leaves. Leaves will not be collected if there is evidence of plastic bags, branches, or other waste items.
Please refer to the zone map to locate your section on the Public Works website.
The Department of Public Works will not collect any leaves after the last scheduled date of collection. After this date, residents are solely responsible for the disposal of their leaves. Disposal of leaves is permitted at the Public Works yard for the duration of one week after the last scheduled collection has taken place; after this period, no leaves will be accepted at the Public Works facility.
ESSEX COUNTY ROADS LEAF COLLECTION
Essex County roads in South Orange and Maplewood are scheduled for leaf collection:
Oct. 29 to Nov. 2, Nov. 26 to Nov. 30, and Dec. 24 to Dec. 28.
More information on leaf collection on Essex County Roads is available here.
Editor's note: A previous version of this article had final leaf collection in Maplewood for Zones 2,3, and 4, as the week of Dec. 17, per the schedule on the Maplewood Department of Public Works website. The Director of Public Works has corrected the information and noted the final week of collection is Dec. 10 for Zones 2, 3, and 4. The week of Dec. 3, final collection for zones 1, 5 and 6, is unchanged.