TAPinto SOMA first reported on the June 1st fire at the Burger King located at 1833 Springfield Avenue. We have since received a press release from Michael Dinglestedt, Chief of the Maplewood Fire Department, outining a number of details that were not previously avilable to us. It is the rapid response and the mutual aid ageements with surrounding towns that enabled the speedy knock-down of the fire and prevented even greater damage.

Here follows the Press Release in its entirety:

Maplewood Firefighters Battle Fire in Burger King

Sign Up for E-News

At approximately 9:03 a.m. on Saturday, June 1, the Maplewood Fire Department responded with a full assignment to 1833 Springfield Ave (Burger King) for a reported structure fire. Engine 32 was first on the scene and reported heavy smoke pushing from the roof and immediately requested a second alarm. Eng. 32 crew stretched a line into the smoke-filled building and reported fire in the ceiling with possible extension to the roof. Eng. 34 crew stretched a backup line into the building as Tower Ladder 31 personnel began laddering the roof to check for extension. Irvington Ladder 41 conducted a primary search which was negative and assisted suppression crews on the interior. South Orange and Millburn Fire Departments were also on the scene assisting with extinguishment and overhaul. Due to an aggressive interior attack by firefighters, the bulk of the fire was knocked down quickly & extensive overhaul was performed.

The main body of fire was in the ductwork above a broiler and extended into the void space between a drop ceiling and metal roof decking. The fire appears to have started in the ductwork and the cause remains under investigation at this time. South Orange Rescue Squad transported one Maplewood firefighter experiencing a medical issue to Saint Barnabas Medical Center, where he was treated and released a short time later.

Representatives from the Maplewood Health and Building Departments were on the scene to assess the damage and advise the business owners. A West Orange FD engine, Union FD engine and East Orang ladder truck provided coverage in Maplewood until Maplewood units returned to service after the completion of the incident.