MAPLEWOOD, NJ – The incident at 200 Boyden Avenue which we reported on earlier in the day was initially reported to the police as either a robbery on shooting. According to a report about the incident from Detective Sergeant Michael Palmerezzi, the witness on the scene provided the Patrol Officers who had responded to the scene with information that two suspects who were dressed in dark clothing had fled the area and were running north bound on Boyden Avenue, toward the intersection with Elmwood Avenue.

The Officers were able to immediately locate these two persons of interest and took them into custody without incident. A stolen handgun was located a bit later in the area where one or the suspects was apprehended. The investigation revealed that the two persons had fled the scene before the patrol arrived.

Through their investigation it was determined that the victim had driven himself to the hospital to obtain treatment for a minor injury. Detectives responded to the hospital and obtained a statement from the victim who reported that unknown actors entered his home in Avalon Apartments wearing masks, assaulted him and ransacked his apartment. The victim stated he then ran out of his apartment to seek help, entered his vehicle and drove to the hospital. There he was treated for minor injuries and released. At that time the police transported him back to Maplewood Police Headquarters for a statement.

Sign Up for SOMA Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

The nature of the information provided at Police Headquarters resulted in the Detectives notifying Seth Boyden Staff with advice to place the school in a shelter in place. Shortly later once it was determined to be safe, the school was advised to resume normal activities.

The investigation produced no evidence that a shooting had occurred or that any weapon had been fired. The police have stated there is no danger to the public and the investigation is ongoing.

Police Chief Jimmy DuVaul stated that information regarding the suspects and the charges are still pending and will be released as soon as possible. He stated “the is still much work to do on the case”.

As reported earlier, due to the presence of blood on the ground at the scene the Maplewood Fire Department also responded with an ambulance and one engine in the event a victim had been shot.