Concerns over COVID-19 could cause many closures and cancellations in Halston Media's Westchester County coverage area (Katonah, Lewisboro, North Salem, Somers and Yorktown). We'll keep you updated as we learn more from each town. To make us aware of a canceled or postponed event, email editor Jodi Weinberger at firstname.lastname@example.org
To sign up for CodeRed updates from the town of Somers, click here.
Click the links above to see updates from other towns. Here's the list for Somers:
- The Sugaring program Saturday, March 14 and Sugaring Off Party, Sunday, March 15 at Muscoot Farm are canceled.
- The Somers Education Foundation's event "A Touch of Red... and Silver" scheduled for March 27 has been postponed.
- The Somers Pointe is postponing the Rock n Roll Brunch scheduled for March 15. It will now be on April 19.
- Troop 376 Scouts: Out of an abundance of caution, Scouts have received direction from the BSA Westchester-Putnam Council to suspend all troop activities starting today through the end of March. This means there will be no troop meeting scheduled until Tuesday, April 7, at the earliest. This also means the Wilderness Survival trip to Camp Bullowa March 20-22, the March food drive and Mr Cheung's Leadership Class on Saturday, March 14, are all postponed until further notice.
- The annual Somers Women's Club Blood Drive is scheduled for Saturday, March 21, is canceled.
- The Somers Education Foundation's Community Night at Il Forno's is being postponed until further notice.
- Somers Partners in Prevention annual community forum scheduled for March 24 is canceled.
- The Paramount Nursing Home is practicing an abundance of caution and is not accepting any visitors during this time in order to protect the health and well being of its residents.
Updates from Town Hall
- From Supervisor Rick Morrissey: The Town of Somers has been officially notified by health officials of our first case of COVID-19 virus. This was publicly announced last week as the individual self-reported. Due to HIPAA and other privacy laws, no further details are being provided to local governments at this time. An investigation is being conducted by the NYS Dept. of Health, and public health officials will be following up with anyone who may have been in contact with this individual. If the town becomes aware of any new information impacting the Somers community at large, the public will be notified.
- The public hearing on the new STEAM school and the revisions to Town of Somers Comprehensive Plan Update scheduled for tomorrow night, March 12, has been canceled. The town expects it would generate a large number of attendees in what is a relatively confined space. The Town Board will meet as scheduled to conduct routine business as Town Board meetings do not draw large crowds. The Town will be working to implement measures moving forward so that residents will have alternative ways to submit comment without having to attend meetings in person. Watch the government access channel Thursday night as the town will be updating the public on the latest coronavirus information received from the county and state.
- Update from the Somers Library: Starting today, March 13, intralibrary and interlibrary loans will be suspended for the foreseeable future. However, you may still return your items to any library in the Westchester Library System and use your card to check out items at any library.
- The Somers Library weekly Wednesday Senior Benefits Information Center is canceled until April.
- Visit https://www.somerslibrary.org/ to see specific updates about other programs.
Somers Central School District
- The Somers Central School District has postponed its high school spring musical "Crazy for You" scheduled for March 13 and 14. The district has canceled or postponed all field trips between now and April 24 and is assessing any field trips April 24. The district is also canceling or modifying large group gatherings scheduled to take place within the schools both during and after school hours. Check the district website frequently for a list of activities that have been canceled, postponed, or modified. The list will be updated regularly. If you do not see an activity, contact the school building.”
- At this time, no one in the schools has tested positive for the virus. The district has decided to make Monday a full day of professional learning so teachers can continue to plan for distance learning.To help slow the spread of the virus, we are following the guidelines provided by health officials regarding social distancing:
- Schools are closing each evening at 6:30 p.m. Any events should be adjusted to end by then.
- Field trips and large group gatherings during and after school hours are canceled until April 24.
- Elementary school parent-teacher conferences, CSE, and 504 meetings will be conducted via phone.
Teams are currently practicing, not competing. The district has closed the fitness center and are awaiting guidance from Section I regarding spring games, meets, and matches. Locker rooms are being sanitized daily.
- The New York City Catholic High School Athletic Association released a statement indefinitely suspending the 2020 Spring Athletics Season earlier today. Updates on the situation will be communicated via our SwiftReach system, website, and social media. Any questions about Kennedy Catholic athletics can be directed to Athletic Director Dominic Tassone at email@example.com.
- Somers Youth Sports Organization has decided to prohibit all indoor activity until further notice. This applies to all SYSO events, whether in Somers or elsewhere.
- The Tusker Varsity Lacrosse Clinic scheduled for Saturday has been canceled.
- Somers AYSO has decided it is in best interest of families to cancel this weekend's sessions.
- A youth clinic to benefit Somers High School lacrosse scheduled for Saturday, March 14, has been postponed. A make-up date has not yet been announced.
Westchester Youth Soccer League: Due to the total number of COVID-19 cases throughout Westchester County and NYC, the WYSL Board of Directors has decided to postpone the start of the Spring season at this time. We will continue to monitor and assess events as they unfold and will remain in communication with our member clubs. We are disappointed to have to take this step, but the safety and wellbeing of our players, coaches, parents, and referees makes this decision necessary at this time. If future circumstances allow, we will attempt to conduct a Spring season, even if it may be on an abbreviated basis.
- Somers Pharmacy: "The Pharmacy is committed to our community! We are available for all your healthcare needs. Please remember that we have curbside delivery as well as home delivery. We are still trying to restock our supply of cleansers, hand sanitizers and wipes. We do however have plenty of soap! Stay safe and healthy!"
- Frank's Pizzeria: "We offer contactless delivery. Order online at FranksPizzaPlace.com or call us at 914-617-8677 and let us know that you'd like the food to be left at your door. Please pay with a credit card and include a tip for the driver in order for it to be contactless. Please be patient with delivery time."
- Traditions 118 Restaurant: 20 percent off all to-go orders through April 1.